Home Selling in Norfolk>Question Details

Shawnett Jon…, Both Buyer and Seller in 23513

What is normal length of time after listing to have an open house. We listed a week ago. Now I am wondering

Asked by Shawnett Jones, 23513 Thu Apr 17, 2008

when I should discuss an open house with my agent. Is it too soon for one? How many is average/normal before a sale?

Answers

11
Never too soon! I schedule my open houses immediately or first available weekend for my clients. Don't be shy. Tell your agent you are ready for an open house this weekend! And have as many as you feel comfortable with until it is sold. The more exposure the better! Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 17, 2008
Open houses do not sell homes these days and haven't for a while now, at least in my area (northern VA). They're effectiveness is less than 1 percent, literally.

Rather than worrying about an open house, you whould be worrying about attracting the 85+ percent of buyers who search for and find their home online. In order to do this, you have to execute an excellent digital media marketing plan.
Web Reference: http://www.LoudounStats.com
I will hold and open house the first Sunday after I get the listing ( as long as I have time to advertise it correctly) . I also will invite the neighbors to stop by the open house because generally people like the neighborhood they live in and will know of a friend, relative, or co-worker they want to be their neighbor.
Shaventi
Good question. On a scale of one to ten I, for purposes of selling a property, an open house would be about a 3..That being said, you property should LOOK great from the time the pictures are taken until the time escrow closes. So if having an open house is what it takes to have you get the home in showing condtion, that is great.

You should know that about 90% of the time the buyer that sees the home they buy for the first time, sees it with a Realtor. So I would be more concerned about how many showings you receive by agent, or agent referrals, meaning on an open house a properly marketed and priced home will receive quite a few buyers who will say "my agent asked me to stop by and have a look". If you are not receiving those showings, with individually or at an open house, then you and your Realtor need to talk.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Open houses are way overblown. Put a sign out with an information box. Make sure the information box is full all of the time with factual information. Ok, run an ad in the newspaper. Where I focus is the internet. Make sure you're on web sites with plenty of information and as many good pictures as you can get. Ask your agent for marketing activities and then look at the sites yourself. Ask about interest of buyers and response. Key is the agent responding to inquires as soon as possible.
This should have been 1 of the topics of discussion before you selected an agent. Some agents do not do open houses and some sellers do not want open houses. I held open house for one property 38 weekends. It was a good friend and across the street. the open houses never brought a buyer. This is a prime weekend in Norfolk due to the St jude house raffle and trolley tour. Recent open houses in Norfolk have not even had lookers. So hopefully you have good internet exposure and pictures
I like to schedule the first public open house as soon as I write up the paperwork for the listing. Exposure is key to selling a home. Allowing the public easy access is important right away. If the home is priced well, you should receive offers in the first 14 days on the market if it has had proper exposure.
There is no a specific time for an Open House, I like to do right away, the sooner the better chance your house will be expose to the market. Good Luck
Open houses are just one option in an arsenal of many, many marketing activities we do as agents. Some activities are more effective than others. Open Houses do sell houses; however, statistically, an open house ranks in the bottom 1/2 of the ways to get a house sold. It is more imnportant for your agent to promote your property to other agents, to create an interactive flyer and post it to multiple websites, to create a "text to flyer" ad and promote it on your yard sign, to advertise on TV, etc. Ask you agent for a list of all the things he/she has done so far to market your home and then ask if and when they are planning an open house. Open houses also need to be planned for and promoted properly and shouldn't be held on a whim.
In my personal opinion the agent should already have contacted you on an open house. The agent should want to market you house as soon as possible due to the fact that you will have most of your traffic within the first few weeks. I would definetely call them and request on as soon as possible. Thanks
I know this doesn't help but this should have been scheduled at the same time you signed the listing contract. I try to do one the first weekend, but that isn't always feasable. I put the house on caravan at my own and other agencies the first available caravan day. I have a broker's open the next Wednesday or Thursday. Just FYI public open houses don't account for a lot of sales. Not that I haven't sold my own listings AT open houses, but those were special: I and other agents in my office all scheduled them the same day, we took out a full page in the local paper and we gave out maps.