Sally Suther…, Other/Just Looking in

What is more important: Small 3rd bedroom/flex office room or open concept living spaced?

Asked by Sally Sutherland, Tue Jan 15, 2013

When remodeling a home. What is more important to buyers in the 78704.
Total Space will be 1100 spare feet
Option #1
Enhanced open concept living space by 200 sq (obtianed by knocking out a wall) or
Very small third bedroom/office with small closet.

Answers

12
Hello!

A three bedroom usually sells better, but in that part of town, you may want to have an open concept living space instead, as it is pretty small. I personally would go for the open concept living space, with two good size bedrooms.

Good luck and if you need help selling your home, I would be happy to help.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 23, 2014
If you can make that space flexible enough by providing a large opening you can close off with french doors or pocket doors, instead of removing the whole wall, you can have the flexibility of larger living space that can double as office or 3rd bedroom. Gives you the best of both worlds. Especially attractive to 78704 buyers.

Here's what's for sale in 78704 right now:

http://www.myaustinhousehunt.com/community/area/South+Austin…

Have a look to see what others are offering. Contact me if you want some more input.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 15, 2013
Going with a 3rd bedroom is usually your best option as long as your living space is not too small to where it isn't functional.
A third bedroom is so valuable. It must have a closet to actually be a bedroom. Can you do both?
Open the plan and the small 3rd bedroom?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 17, 2014
Sally,
Have your agent show you the stats regarding 2 bedroom home sales and 3 bedroom home sales.
Not only price wise but the DOMs will reveal the very obvious choice. The data will align with what others have already shared...3 bedroom is of much greater value...according to the data.

Even in those 2/2 retirement communities, that extra room is worth GOLD!

Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
I'm not a Realtor, just a Homeowner whose owned multiple homes.
Definitely, go w/ 3rd Bedroom option! Yes, close off w/French doors or Pocket Doors if possible, to retain open feeling .
That 3rd bedroom is invaluable fro privacy, storage or a 3rd person - a child, guest, unexpected
relative, etc. You will never regret that extra room..."Doors" and separate spaces keep people much
happier socially, and healthier emotionally.
I have more buyers that would want a 3rd bedroom/office - they might not even want to look at a 2 bedroom home.
When are you thinking of selling? I've been in 78704 for nearly 15 years, I can help. Give me call to discuss when you might like to list it for sale.
Peggy (512) 922-1290
3rd bedroom by far.....
Make it two bedroom and you cut out a huge percentage of the market.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
So many people want an office space these days, and want to be able to close it off from view of the living area. I would go with the extra room, unless your living space is too small or awkward. Even for 1 person, I think having an office and guest room is more desirable, especially for resale.
Hi Sally, Sometimes having a 3rd bedroom increases the worth of your home; especially if it is a rarity in the neighborhood. Unless it is in an area where smaller homes are preferred and sell the most rapidly. Consulting a Realtor in the area.
I like the sound of the open concept much better.....especially in 78704. However, from an appraisal standpoint, there is a real big difference between 2 and 3 bedroom homes.

Please feel free to contact me anytime if you would like to discuss the sale of your home. I would be happy to help without obligation.

Steve Nusinow
(512)922-7588
Bedrooms and bathrooms help the most with resale.