Barb Fullert…, Real Estate Pro in Denver, CO

What, in your view, is the most important trend in real estate today?

Asked by Barb Fullerton, Denver, CO Thu May 17, 2012

Identifying trends helps us forecast what will happen next in our fast moving society. The two most important that I see are the baby boomer 'downsizing' movement, and the effect it will have on current available and future housing.

Answers

4
I'd say "IF" the appraisers keep up with the excelerating market we're seeing in some parts of the Denver metro area and if they don't have underwriters holding back prices. Greenwood Village has been a solid market throughout his recession due to schools and proximity to everything.
1st, alleged great marketing plans - I have noticed the low inventory - competitive market spur on a lot of fictitious hype in regards to "marketing your property" in effort sell themselves and gain your business. It always has been and forever will be about price. Selling ones home lies in the numbers and where your home fits in the present market you are considering. If your home is reflective of the present market value it will sell. The sellers who work with brokers who know the #’s and facts will succeed and be part of the 11,643 homes that sell each day (N.A.R. 2011 sales stats).
2nd, buyers returning to the market with a conservative approach. The past tumultuous decade in real estate has made and broken people, families, businesses, etc. However, it has revitalized how people view what they need vs what they want. Today, buyers are focused on living within their means. While historically real estate has always been a solid investment, buyers are cautious to reluctant to push their purchase price i.e. sticking to a set payment level.
3rd, foreclosures & short sale are still happening. While incomes have not risen and people are settling for less income, short sales & foreclosures will still be part of the real estate fabric for sometime considering many are facing a negative equity position w/their home.
4th, for reason noted in point/trend 3, prices for the most part will be stagnate to soft while some neighborhoods may experience quite the opposite.
Filling the need for investors/renters which are driving a large part of the market. Renters are seeing the light and choosing to purchase again. Rental rates are up, vacant % are down, rental demand is high, mortgage rates are low. Buyers are more savvy and cautious now.
Foreclosures and short sales are the trend I see the most of since my area is mostly investment ocean resort homes.