Laura, Other/Just Looking in Bolingbrook, IL

What if your house isn't ready to be put on the market for it too late to list in June?

Asked by Laura, Bolingbrook, IL Sun Mar 13, 2011

I know the Spring market is NOW and we want to try and sell our house, but we still have alot of de-cluttering and staging to do before I feel the house is ready to go on the market! I would love to get it ready for a May or June listing, but is that too late? I know we will have missed the Spring market! Or maybe the market will be better in 3-6 months ? Or worse!?

I suggest renting a storage facility or two and getting it on the market sooner. Those PODs work great, they deliver a trailer to your home on Friday, fill it up and they drive it away to warehouse on Monday. I don't work your market so I'm not saying list with me, but NOW is good to do and I disagree with posters that people dont really look until June when the kids are out of school. It takes 3-6 months to find, buy and close a house and that a buyer likes. June summer sports camp, July vacations and August is prepatory to fall school. Most parents want to move in before school starts. Find a way to get assistance to help you remove clutter and do you best to be on market in month.
The most important things are to sell when you are ready and your home is ready.

Yes, there can be more buyers shopping during the spring market so that means many sellers are listing there home now so the pie just got bigger but the slices get smaller so the net effect is negligible. Family homes sell better in the late spring and early summer so school isn't disrupted. However, in June many people get married and buy a new home. People get divorced and transferred all year creating need for a change of homes.

I don't know of a single Realtor that opens or closes their doors based on the seasonality of real estate (outside of unique niche vacation properties that is).

June is a great month! Especially if your home will be set to sell by then....

Don't worry about all the Spring hype. Many buyer's hold off purchasing until the kids are out of school. Other's go on vacation and list their homes so it's easy to show.

In my opinion it really doesn't slow down much until Sept. That's when kids are back in school & the holiday season kicks into gear.

Best of luck - you'll be fine!
Web Reference: http://www.WeberHomes.Info
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 13, 2011

You are right, the Spring market has already been bustling. I have seen an increase in buyer activity starting a few weeks before Super Bowl this year. However, in my opinion, it is a good decision to wait until your property is absolutely "showing ready." It is best to make a good impression fresh out of the gate so to speak. When a listing is first put onto the market, is typically when it will generate the most interest and if it isn't its best, you will have lost some very valuable momentum.

Linda Dressler, Realtor®
'Helping From The Heart'
Schaumburg, Illinois
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 13, 2011
I would advise you to get your home on the market sooner rather than later. Come August if your home hasn't sold you'll be wondering to yourself, "What if I had just listed it a little bit earlier?"

Give me a call before you list. I have some great, flexible plans.
Not at all. We are just getting into the Spring market as the weather thaws us out. When it is warmer, you will see more. Faster is better because people usually like to move over the summer. I would say get some professional help.

If you want a free consultation on staging and selling - I have done that for years. Give me a call and I will give you my booklet with tips for staging to sell your home.
Have to agree with John below. Spring Market in the colder climates is the next 30-60 days max. It will be the most beneficial time to list your home. Best of Luck
Pack one room, the basement or the garage to the hilt! Get your home on the market NOW and get buyers through at their convenience. Anything else in this market doesn't make $ense.
Jerry Grodesky Broker
HI Laura, Decluttering is most important sometimes more important than the list date. Sometimes. In your case if you can get it listed by Mid May thats best, June 1st week is still ok.
Here's a few keys things to help your house sell even though your Realtor may repeat it to you anyway.

1. Make showing the home very easy. Realtors in todays market don't want to wait for appointments if they have a buyer standing in front of them also the buyer don't like to wait either. So do your best to either put a lockbox on or make it available

2. Odor, make it a good one. lol. sometimes people don't notice their shoe smell, pet odors or musty basement smell. cooking or over perfumed odors. Fresh linen smells, cookies baking this type is great for making the home inviting. Vannilla if theres pets or smokers, vanilla eats smoke odors however not alot of peole like vanilla as much so just had a little fresh linen it works great.

3. you already know clutter

4. curb appeal. too many cars in driveway, plant just a few marigolds there easy to keep and look nice. just alittle touch here and there really helps.

5. try not to have mix matched things in rooms it takes away from the room. if you have a dining room set it up to like like dinner is ready to be served.

All the Best
Dave & Lisa
Web Reference:
You will be eliminating a large percentage of the buyer pool by June. But you only need one buyer. The right one. Have you consulted with a realtor to help you put together a punch list? I wish you were closer to me. I could walk through your home and in 15 minutes advise you on what to prioritize and focus on. Hire help if you need it. The market will not be better in 3 months. Check out the competition and be better, thats what it takes to sell in this market. Good luck and happy house hunting for your new one.

I understand your concern and there are a lot of buyers out there right now. However I work with buyers year round, so you'll always have buyers looking, just get your home in the best shape. You'll get the most activity on your home in the first 2-3 weeks, so do all your fixes before you list it.

Good luck to you!

Prudential CA Realty
Web Reference:
Presenting your home in it's best light, and pricing will be the most important factors. If it is attractive to buyers you should be fine.