Joyce Hewits…, Other/Just Looking in Freeland, WA

What if the information about our home is very outdated, probably causing there to be a much lower zestimate than should be. How can that be updated?

Asked by Joyce Hewitson, Freeland, WA Sun Jan 22, 2012

central, forced air heat pump rather than listed "baseboards"
newly remodeled bathrooms, kitchen

Answers

10
As Megan says, you can update the information on Zillow. However (because I post a lot on Zillow, too), Zillow cautions that changes you make can take a while to be reflected in any new zestimate.

Beyond that, though, I don't know why anyone cares. Half the questions on Zillow seem to be about owners disagreeing with the zestimates. So? Realtors don't use Zillow to determine values. And Realtors will tell their clients that those numbers aren't reliable. And, frankly, if you're selling a property and some buyer rejects it because the zestimate is low, then you may be dealing with someone you'd rather avoid.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Hi Joyce, Zillow can be deceiving when trying to get a good idea of the current market value of your home. As a Real Estate Agent it's not the tool I turn to when determining your home's worth. I recommend contacting one or more agent to get a CMA done on your home . A CMA is a Comparative Market Analysis that we agents do for our clients in order to help them determine the price point they want to list their home at. It's important that you get an honest evaluation of the current market value of your property. Make sure you understand and comprehend the information provided to you - work with someone who teaches rather than tells, and also look at the whole package. For example, I use the opportunity of doing a CMA for a potential client to not only help them value their home, but to showcase my marketing. Cheers!
Zillow has done a great job of generating interest online but Zillow’s estimates of value use a similar algorithm to the tax assessors and are used to give a general idea of value. On Whidbey island were most homes are not similar, it is best to contact a local real estate professional to determine the value. Value is determined by many factors and the Professionals at First Carriage House Realty in Freeland, WA would be happy to help you.
Joyce;

Unless you have nothing else to worry about, I'd recommend not trying to navigate the Zillow and Zestimate world. There aren't many realty professionals that I know of that worry very much about Zillow. All Zillow is about is a general outline of property values based on data...right or wrong. It would be very tough to give a proper estimate of value by simply using a computer generated data system without utilizing the skills of an experienced real estate broker or an appraiser.
There's a reason the standards of licensing an appraiser (who values realty) are very high. Estimating values of homes isn't a one step no look process.
Any buyers or sellers I work with get the same lecture of NOT relying upon Zillow to make any type of decision.

Cheers,

Rob
Joyce,
That is a very good question as Zillow's estimates are not correct. Trulia has a better handle as it feeds from public redonds/MLS. Zillow moreso depends on the agents toupdate the data.
Web Reference: http://www.FrankDolski.com
Joyce,
Go make those changes then come back here and tell us what you did AND the change you observed on the 'guestimate." We would all like to know.
As already stated, once you go to your home you can claim it as yours and put in the correct information about it. Good luck.
Joyce - I just went to Zillow and it is easy. You have to sign in with your username and password. Go the your home's page and scroll down just below the pictures. Click on the "Edit" tab and you can make several types of edits.

BTW, if you are NOT signed in, you'll still see the "Edit" tab but won't have the correction options.
Yes - you can go into Zillow on the page regarding your home. There is an option for you to update and correct the information. I've done it and it's easy to find.
possibly .......If you ask this question about a zestimate be on zillows site and not trulias you might get a reply as to how to update this info