Home Selling in Texas>Question Details

Kyle Jancove…, Real Estate Pro in Austin, TX

What home improvement project provides the best return while increasing home buyer appeal?

Asked by Kyle Jancovech, Austin, TX Tue Jan 31, 2012

http://www.KyleSellsAustin.com

Answers

6
Depends on what the home needs.

If it's a 4 bed/1 bath home, maybe it's a second bath.

If it's a 1970s home, otherwise in good condition, maybe it's a new kitchen.

If the house itself is fine on the inside but looks like a dump on the outside, maybe some landscaping and fresh paint.

And so on.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
I alway advise my clients that if their intent is to sell and they want to make it more appealing to just offer an allowance or have the price reflect the needed improvements. Not all buyers are going to have the same opinions on improvements. I just hate to see somebody invest their money into new carpet or new counter tops to only get ripped up when the new buyer comes in.

Heather
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 31, 2012
Kyle,

Always a good question. Irencently wrote about this on Turlai and have attached a link to the article below. Hope you find it helpful.
Clean what's dirty, fix what's broken, then paint the thing.

If you're not good with a color wheel, the paint shop will be glad to send a designer out to make suggestions that you should take!
Updated kitchens and baths are always great selling features and usually provides a good return on your investment. The thing to be concerned with if taking this route, is to make sure you don't over improve for your neighborhood.
Don pretty much covered it.
The only thing I can add relates to quality:
If the Sellers are going to do a cheap job, just to sell the place, tell them to save their money and just give an allowance in the Contract.
If the Sellers are going to paint in bright colors and use tile for the Kitchen counters, tell them to forget it.