Home Selling in Cupertino>Question Details

John Howell, Home Seller in Cupertino, CA

What happened to this site?

Asked by John Howell, Cupertino, CA Fri Jul 5, 2013

This site used to be a useful place where people asked questions and agents gave responsible answers. Look what has happened to it. It has turned into one of those free magazines on the supermarket racks that nobody looks at.
I am surprised that Trulia has let the thing degenerate into a sales tool.

Answers

11
I agree - the questions have been somewhat pathetic at times.
I too have noticed a decline in the quality of the site overall. I just participated in a rather comprehensive Trulia survey and had a rather difficult time giving more than 2's or 3's on most of the questions. If anyone reading this answer has been invited to participate in that survey I would highly recommend taking a few moments to participate.

I think Trulia is really trying to address many of the problems that have arisen lately. Hopefully the recent acquisition of Market Leader/Active Rain will be a step in the right direction.

I don't participate in the Trulia blog as I do in the Active Rain blog because I think it's more of an advertising and promotion platform and seldom see many quality posts with genuine information. But I have obtained a lot of very valuable information over the years on the Q/A platform and I've been able to contribute a lot of knowledge and information regarding the manufactured home industry.

That stated, however, I have noticed a significant decline in the past couple of years on the Q/A platform as well. It used to be a very informative platform with lot's of very bight and experienced RE professionals. There still are quite a few of the members, many of which I have had the privilige of getting to know and even work with and I do believe they try very hard to keep the ball moving positively down the field. But it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the entire crop.

Trulia has to do their part to regain the credibility it once had or they could start losing some of their oldest and most dedicated contributors.
I agree - the relaxing of the spam policies here over the past few years has, imo, had a negative impact on the site.

Zillow still enforces strict spam policies (which apparently doesn't affect it's bottom line), and the Q&A sections there are refreshing in that you don't have to scroll past lines and lines of agent signatures, awards, phone numbers and self-promotional responses..

BTW - what's with the new "thank" option below everyone's response?
Trulia just can't go a week without adding something new!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 30, 2013
I just thanked you. Let me know what that does --- Did you get a Thank You added to your profile?
Flag Fri Aug 30, 2013
Spammers will keep hitting Trulia until the Trulia users like me and you block and remove their posts at every opportunity.

There are still great people participating in Trulia, but it's harder to connect with them due to the clutter of spam.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 30, 2013
Johnathan, I agree with you in part. Having been a member for almost the past 5 years myself I must say that I've been witness to some serious erosion in the quality and the brand that Trulia once had. As stated in my previous comment I'm hopeful that the recent merge between Market Leader/Active Rain and Trulia will have a positive impact on enhancing the Trulia model.

On another subject has anyone experienced a sudden losss of points in the past couple of weeks? I'm short about 40k points and Trulia said there was a glitch in their system and they were taking care of it. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has experience this.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 7, 2013
Responsible answers? On Trulia Voices? Perish the thought.

Seriously, having been on this forum since it's inception five years ago, I see the same quality of answers both for the good and the incredibly, utterly bad.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 7, 2013

1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 7, 2013
I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 7, 2013
Yes. If they charged for rental adds and/or eliminated them all together, I believe Trulia would be more trusted. Because of the rental scammers the general public is comparing it to Craigslist, and has lost faith in Trulia.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 5, 2013
As you can all see, the real estate agents have taken control of this place and taken it the way of AM and FM radio.
They are talking to themselves. No citizen finds anything useful here anymore.
I agree. Seems like recently the internet trolls have waged an attack on the Trulia forums. Recently some of the questions and some of the replies from one particular account seem like they come from a bored teenager not a real "agent". I'm surprised the Trulia moderators haven't done anything.