Suzanne, Home Seller in Minnesota

What exterior colors should we use to improve curb appeal? Are green roofs still in?

Asked by Suzanne, Minnesota Tue Jul 15, 2008

Answers

11
The thing to remember about committing to a roof of an other than normal color is to consider that it will likely limit the color of your home for as long as the roof is on the home and that by making a drastic change, this could cost you in terms of interested buyers should you decide to sell in the future. Not everyone will be attracted to an unusual color roof.

Some things are best without attention drawn to them......

Just keeping it real!

Yes, green roofs are still in, but only with the right color of home. The best way to determine the colors for best curb appeal is to look around your neighborhood. What homes have the most curb appeal to YOU? What color are they? If you live in the Southwest, lighter colors are best because the darker colors fade. Also, what is the building material? Stucco, as a rule looks best with earth-tone colors, because the dust and dirt seems to collect in the nooks and crannies of stucco. Aluminum sided or wood-sided homes should match the neighborhood. With real estate, conformity adds curb appeal. Uniqueness does not.
Curb appeal can mean many things to many people. Is your roof green now? Can you afford to change it? Once I know those two answers, I can give you advice - without me (us) knowing those answers, I'd (we'd) be "painting with a very inaccurate and broad brush" if you know what I mean.
Agree with everyone below, more neutral for the "big" items such as siding, roof, etc. If you want to tastefully add a splash of color, paint your front door a fun color. Not hot pink or neon, but a nice clean bold color will make your listing photos pop! Add a planter or pot that matches in front of the garage and you've tastefully added color/fun, yet it's inexpensive to change.
I agree neutral is always a good choice. Keep in mind the color scheme of the homes along side yours is also important. For example, you want to compliment & not clash with the neighbors. I definitely would not do a green roof = stay safe with a neutral roof. That roof is going to be there for awhile.
There are some great painting ideas at http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/exterior-de…
As stated previously, each house has to be considered individually. If you would like, you may send me a picture or pictures of your house and I will give you my opinion. I am a professional home stager and advise owners and investors on topics such as this. You can contact me through my website. TweakYourHouse.com
I agree Neutral is the key. A green roof is personal preference. You need to pick a neutral color that everyone likes. Some people hate the green roofs. So you do not want to pick anything that some people strongly dislike. Good luck
Jennifer Kortan
612-207-0814
Aloha Suzanne,

To effectively answer this question you should take into consideration the landscape surrounding the home, the lay of the land and how the property sits in the environment, and the colors of other homes in the neighborhood. Is there lots of light around the home or is it shady? Does the home stand by itself or is it tucked behind trees and rolling knolls? Are the neighbors homes muted, bright, dark, etc? If you have a green roof, you will want to pick a similar or complementary colors for the siding. A three color scheme works very well. With the front door one color, the siding another and the trim a third.
Hello Suzanne,

I have built a ton of homes for many different people and I can only remember putting green shingles on 2 or 3 times! I happen to like the look on certain homes as long as the green is on the darker side and the siding and soffit and fascia complement it, whatever you do do not put the light green shingles on it will stick out like a sore thumb and you will have trouble with resale! It also depends on your surroundings, if you are on a lot with good tree and vegetation cover it would fit in much better than if you were in the middle of a development with no cover, I had green on my last home that I lived in which was surrounded by a big woods and the home look absolutely beautilful with a green roof, my neighbor where I live now (a home that I built) has a green roof and green surroundings and I think it looks gorgeous. So there are a few factors you should take into consideration before pulling the trigger but one thing you could do to help decide is drive around a few communities and look for the colors you want to use and see how it looks on someone else’s house before you spend the money to put it on yours and you may spot other colors that you may like better. I hope this helps! Good Luck!
Web Reference: http://www.jmsemler.com
Hi Suzanne,

Here-here to Cameron's answer! To elaborate of the color choice......NEUTRAL, NEUTRAL, NEUTRAL with CLASS...is the answer. You want to attract the widest range of possible buyers loving the exterior of your home. Curb appeal is the FIRST and lasting impression they will get when approaching the house. This does affect the reactions they feel as they walk into the house. If you have a unpalletable color outside, you can guarantee this "bad taste in their mouth" will carry through to the interior expecting and LOOKING for more bad taste and reasons to bid lower or not at all. It's hard to give you an actual color without seeing your home and the neighborhood. You want to stand out as the best but not the obnoxious. If you have not signed on exclusively with a realtor, you can send me pic's I'd love to help you out (if you're signed on, by law, I can't step on toes). Be sure to neaten up/pull/weed/trim the front landscape also.

In the metro area it has become somewhat of a beauty contest when you are expecting the highest value in the shortest amount of time, otherwise buyers may expect fire sale prices. Buyers can afford to be choosier, drag their heals and expect a more finished home in the price range they are looking for as the market inventor is high. The Beauty Contest is more important inside with staging your home, ask your realtor for suggestions, sometimes it becomes disheartening to a seller with honest opinions, but remember to look at the SOLD sign instead of the FOR SALE FOREVER sign and appeal to the widest range of potential buyers. If you have a good realtor in the Twin Cities this should be part of their package of preparing your home for sale inside and out, advise or even providing staging consultation, etc.

As for the ROOF: If you meant green, as in the color....run far from this...and fast. Put in a mixed neutral, darker than the siding color, that compliments a pallet of colors so if the buyer chooses they can change the color easily. Be sure the colors fit the style of your home, ask your agent if they are savvy on design or as Cameron stated, pick pre-chosen colors from Home Depot to compliment your siding. Your front door can stand some color if the screen door shows it nicely or no screen. If your home doesn't offer a lot of high end inside, it may be wise to boast all the NEW exterior upgrades in marketing. Don't go overboard on the "green - earth" end yet, I don't believe you'll get the return on your investment on the sale at this stage of the game, this may depend on the value of your home too. In my experience, some new home buyers tend to overlook the roof unless it's in obvious disrepair or the age is pointed out by the realtor, note: in higher end homes it is expected to be in good shape for the most part.

Long and windy, but hope this helps you out. Any further questions just email and I'd be happy to help you out.

Take care and good luck to you!
Jody Goode
Suzanne,

The color to be used is far contextual than anything else. A good place to start might be to look through the color palettes for Behr (or insert brand name here) paint at The Home Depot. Try to pick a palette that will look good on your house. Whatever you do, don't mix and match the colors, they have been selected to work together and compliment one another.

"Green Roofs" can mean two different things these days. Green (the color) shingles is what I presume you are talking about and again it will depend more on the overall package of the home. Shingles are very expensive to replace if you are simply trying to change the color and chances are slim that you will return dollar for dollar what you spend.

"Green Roof" can also refer to a type of enviornmentaly friendly roof primarily used in commercial architecture. Unless your house is ultra contemporary I would not even consider this type of roofing system and even then only if you really care a lot about the enviornment.

I hope that helps.

Cameron Piper
Web Reference: http://www.campiper.com