Home Selling in Rochester>Question Details

Maria, Home Seller in New York, NY

What does the Rochester NY Market look like right now. I listed my house three weeks ago and my realtor

Asked by Maria, New York, NY Mon Oct 22, 2007

tells me she hasn't had many calls. I understand I am competing with new builds but my price is much lower than what it would cost to rebuild my house and in the middle range of other houses for sale in the area. I have a three bedroom home that is meticulously maintained. I did notice that the photos on the website don't look as sharp as I would like them, could that be the problem? What else can I do? How can my home get noticed by relocation firms?

Answers

7
Just curious to see how the sale went!

If you're still working at it ... the internet is where it's at. If your agent didn't have the photos taken by a professional ... you're getting a disservice! Your home needs to sparkle both in the pictures and in person. If it's not ... you need to make sure it get's changed.

If you'd like to take a look at the virtual tours that I use ... goto: http://www.obeo.com/mikewalker. You'll see that the home is showcased very well and the rooms all look bright and are photographed from the right angles.

You'll also want to make sure that your agents marketing plan encompasses all avenues. As they say ... it only takes one buyer ...but you never know where they'll be!

Michael Walker
Century 21 Premier Properties
585-872-3020 ext. 43
Mike@MikeWalkerHomes.com
I just had my seller raise the commission rate to any buyer agent to 4%. I know in our area with no appreciation that is difficult but I recently sold 2 new builds because of this. The agents were very appreciative and the negotiation was very quick. Your photos for the internet have to be sharp. Make sure your agent has posted your home in as many websites as possible. Look at doing a video tour of the home, we are going away from 360 virtual tours. Your web presense will get you noticed. By the way the market is just picking up due to interest rates dropping below 6%

Good luck and be patient.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 7, 2007
If you house is not a new build, it would be hard to be comparable with them. I always say you have to compare apples to apples and in your particularly neighborhood and I would especially pay attention to the current properties that our pending (under contract) these are your best comps. If the photos on the website are not too sharp, then I would definitely have your agent retake the photos you do not like and update on the internet.. It is said that approximately 80% of buyers are looking on the internet. What type of feedback have you had so far, any showings and/or open houses? The market did slow down 3 weeks ago, however, houses are still selling, people are still looking.. I believe price is the key and good photos on the web... Hope this helps
The previous answers should help you I would also recommend a Virtual Tour. Ask your agent for more info.
Lower your price. Have your realtor notify the agents that have shown your house that the price has been reduced. Have an open house. Have your agent leave brochures at the top real estate companies that handle relos.
Web Reference: http://www.northropteam.com
Hi Maria. Sorry to hear you have some concerns about your home. I can offer a few tips, but certainly talk to your agent about your concerns.
Definitely get new photos taken of your home! The first place buyers are going is to the internet, and if your photos aren't up to snuff, they will pass your home by without even giving it a chance. 84% of first time buyers used the Internet to search for homes (compared to 79% of repeat buyers). Talk to your agent about getting in touch w/relo firms. She should be able to help you in that department. The housing market is a little tenuous right now, but Rochester has maintained a fairly solid foothold. What are the calls about that your agent is receiving? Is it just people with questions, or do they want to see your home? What is your agent's marketing plan? Any direct mail or is your house only online? Is your house staged to sell? These are all things to consider. And the big question is: is your house priced right? I know you said it is in the middle range of other houses in the area, but are the houses around you selling? If they are, you and your agent need to revisit the pricing and see if it is priced accordingly.
Good luck with your house and if you have more questions, I'm here to help!
Web Reference: http://www.realty3llc.com
The cost to rebuild is irrelevant to what homes are selling for. Your selling price should be based on what others sold for. Get your Realtor to run you such a report so you understand and can clearly see what is actually selling.
Web Reference: http://www.iansellsnola.com