Home Selling in Riverside>Question Details

Dog Lady, Home Seller in Riverside, CA

What does it mean ease of showing our home? Dont you just put a lock box on and have people make appts? Do you mean how easy it is to get an appt?

Asked by Dog Lady, Riverside, CA Sun Nov 7, 2010

If a realtor calls for an appt dont most people just say ok? If I want to sell my house I would always say ok to an appt. As long as I know in advance I dont see why I wouldnt want people to check out my house.

Answers

4
I'm with you and I'd be in the same place. I do, however, know other clients I've had that viewing thier hom was much more difficult for perspective buyers.

Here are some examples. Some folks work nights and sleep during the day. Some have young teens alone in the home at times and rightfully restrict access to the home at these times to folks they don't know. Some have babies which are light sleepers. When I sold my home earlier this year, I made a deliberate decision to move my family out (I have 5 children), so that my wife didn't have to worry about having the home clean and the children quiet.

A whole other category is those short-selling their home- now right about 50% of the homes available in the Inland Empire. Unless foreclosure is right around the corner, many of these sellers are not anxious to sell the home faster. This is especially the case if they've recently found out that their bank may be delaying foreclosure even further.

A final category is tenants in the home, especially in a short sale. Tenants are often not thrilled that the home is being sold out from under them. Their attitude ranges from completely cooperative to absolutely vindictive. There are some tenants that directly refuse any showings in hopes they can stay in the home longer or at least exact some revenge on the homeowner.

You attitude is the type that most agents would love to have as a home seller. I wish you well in your sale. Please don't hesistae to ask questions. As a Realtor, we should act as a trusted consultant or advisor.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 7, 2010
Dog Lady:

Although it seems logical that the easier is it to show a home the better the end result will be, you would be amazed at how any sellers erect substantial barriers to quick and easy showings.

Obstacles I’ve seen:

• By Appointment Only showings
• Limited hours – such as “No showings on weekends” (I’ve honestly seen this)
• 24-hour notice required
• No lock box
• Sellers never answer the phone
• Out-of-area-Realtor who won’t come to show the home if the sellers don’t respond
• Dogs loose in the home

Bottom line: Buyers need to be able to get into a home to view it when it works for them, not the seller. Any walls/barriers/obstructions that a seller puts up will only delay the sale process and typically will result in a lower price.

The best policy is for the MLS to state: “CALL, LEAVE MESSAGE, GO SHOW”. After all, that’s the purpose of the lock box – so agents can access your home when you’re not there. And in reality, they don’t want you to be there when they show your home anyway. This way, if you are there when they call you can confirm what time they may be coming by and if you are NOT there, they’ll just come.

Quick note here: it is EXTREMELY difficult for a Realtor to know exactly when they will be at your home unless yours is the only property they are showing. If you are home #6 in a series of 10 … there is no real effective way to know exactly when they will be by. And, it’s always possible the buyers see the home when they drive up and instruct their Realtor to not bother stopping. In many cases, the Realtor will most likely NOT call you to let you know they are not coming after all. Sad but very true.

Here are a couple of posts I wrote that deal with issues sellers will want to avoid to make sure their home sells quickly and for top dollar …

What Realtors HATE When Showing Homes To Buyers – Top 10 List
http://bit.ly/bzpjg5

Top 15 Things A Listing Agent Won’t Tell Sellers … (But REALLY Should …)
http://bit.ly/6LFLl
.
In my experience people with pets need a notice to get the dogs locked up normally. Also some people don't always keep there home clean and want a notice to clean up. Otherwise most people do say yes as they want people to come and check it out.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 7, 2010
Dear Dog Lady,

Kevin is absolutly right. I couldn't have said it better myself.
Most families don't live in
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 7, 2010