Home Selling in Wood Ridge>Question Details

Judi Brown, Home Seller in Wood Ridge, NJ

What do you now call a mother-daughter home. my home is built to look like a 2 family but can only legally be a one family.

Asked by Judi Brown, Wood Ridge, NJ Sun Jul 7, 2013

I am selling my home as a one family which could be deceiving because it is set up like a two. would multi-generational work?

Answers

6
If it is not a legal two family, you should not advertise it as such. Also, there may be some problems when you sell because many lending banks will not approve a loan on this type of set up. You should consult a Realtor and your attorney prior to putting the home on the market.
I would not "specify" that it is multi-generational so that you do not discourage any and all possible buyers from looking at the home. This is a very popular lifestyle now, with the cost of housing so high in my area the builders are doing this more and more often.
Hi Judi,
We recently closed on a property in Hasbrouck Heights. It sounds similar to your property, the additional space was considered an in-law suite. Hope that is of help. Good Luck.
We use the term 'extended family' instead
You must be careful describing it like mother-daughter home. It coud be percieved as two family and it actually one and it's paying taxes as one; no matter how's built or if it looks like as two family. When you're showing it, emphazise as a one family for a big family and not as extented family. Be sure there's one kitchen in the main floor. No multi-generational could be perceived as two because it has a kitchen and it'll an issue when getting a CO for closing.
Hi Judi

I live and service your area. Not sure what your question is but I would love to see your home and assist you anyway I can.

Instead of Mother/Daughter we use the term extended family
extended family doesn't work for the layout...and it is currently listed with a realtor. having issues with people understanding the layout according to the listing
Flag Sun Jul 7, 2013