Home Selling in San Jose>Question Details

Home Owner, Home Owner in San Jose, CA

What do people think about the different flooring available in terms of resale value?

Asked by Home Owner, San Jose, CA Sat Oct 8, 2011

I think it's obvious that people would prefer real hardwood floors. However, it could be very expensive... for a relatively small sized home (less than 2000 sqft), how is the resale value of other flooring options, such as bamboo or laminate (or even tile)? Ii think carpet is very unpopular but would installing other types of flooring increase the resale value or decrease days on the market?

Answers

14
Home88,
Hardwood and bamboo flooring are very desirable upgrades over carpet or laminate and will increase the sell-ability of your home. I disagree with some of my colleagues on the tile. There are many beautiful tiles available that look like stone or marble, not to mention Italien textured tiles (but they are more costly). In Florida, where the weather is year round on the warmer side, stone, marble and tile is often the preferred choice, particular in the living areas. Another advantage is that they are easier to maintain.
3 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 8, 2011
Real Hardwood floors are the mostly commonly desired floors. You can find very attractive and very affordable real hardwood floors that are pre-finished at places like Lumber Liquidators. They have locations nationwide. I've personally used them multiple times. Here's a link to their website: http://www.lumberliquidators.com.

The trick to making your home seem larger and flow more openly is to have the same type of flooring in as many rooms as possible. Some buyers prefer carpet in bedrooms. If you use hardwood throughout your home, including the bedrooms, consider "staging" with affordable large area rugs in center of room or around beds.

For bathrooms tile is preferred or natural stone like Travertine, which is quite affordable for small spaces at home stores like Home Depot. You may want to check with local suppliers to see if they are have any overstocked items on sale or material ordered by a customer that they are stuck with and willing to sell at a discounted price. Another option is through Habitat For Humanity's ReStore locations. They often have very very affordable tile, hardware like door knobs & drawer pulls, and many other items that were donated to them by builders.

For kitchens, tile or natural stone is usually preferred, but hardwood is good too.

I hope this helps! I'm happy to provide more information if you would like it!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 8, 2011
In my neck of the woods buyers prefer wood/wood laminate, and neutral tile flooring in kitchen and bath areas. Carpet is typically appreciated in the bedroom areas. Using multiple type flooring and tile in these areas is not cohesive and greatly interupts the flow of the floor plan. Choosing one tile, wood and carpet color throughout the home is most desirable. Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 8, 2011
Hardwood is great, yes. But be careful to consider the long-term appearance of less expensive flooring such as bamboo. I bought bamboo flooring about five years ago because the sales associate claimed that it was harder than oak or maple flooring. Well, my 45-pound dog's nails have left serious scratches on this "hard" wood. Don't discount carpet. Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 5, 2014
In my area I have to agree that hardwood floors are a huge plus. A very good quality tile is also favored. I would consider those over other flooring to impress buyers and keep value high.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 5, 2014
It depends on the maintanance quality of the product...
Hi Home88

Go with hardwood or engineered wood.

Also try places like Kingsway Cabinets off Brokaw.

Perry

http://www.ruthandperry.com
Web Reference: http://www.ruthandperry.com
Bamboo IS a hardwood. It is also often more expensive than other more common hardwoods like red oak or white oak.

Lumber Liquidators has AMAZING PRICES on real hardwood. I have personally purchase pre-finished red oak flooring with cherry stain for under $3.00/sf.

Having real wood floors can absolutely be the difference maker when a buyer is looking several similar propertis.

Obviously your budget is number one. Any clean floor that does not show wear, will appeal to buyers. If your floors look good, have no wear, and are a neutral color, you may want to leave them as-is.

Clean fresh paint inside or freshened up curb appeal may give you more bang for the buck if your existing floors are nice, even if they are carpet.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 9, 2011
Since other agents have already concurred that hardwood and even bamboo are more appealing than carpet, I'll address your question about the increase in resale value. In general, home renovation projects nationwide generate about a 70% return on your investment. That is, if you put in $10K, you should get about a $7K increase in value. This applies to even investor flips, so investors are always keen to buy below market value.

So, the only real benefit to such a renovation is to make your home relatively more appealing in your community so it gets sold in weeks instead of months. Whether the trade-off of time versus money makes sense will depend on your personal situation. If you're living in your home while it's being sold, then the savings would be your personal convenience. Otherwise, if the home is now vacant, the extra mortgage payments can add up quick and easily justify a small renovation.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 9, 2011
The other realtors have given you great ideas and spot on recomendations, If I were you and I was thinking about resale value/ or decreasing days on the market, I would have a realtor give me and idea of the value of my home, what my school scores are ( if you don't know) and generally how my location stacks up to other areas in the " want to live there factor". Then you would get a much better idea of how much money you should spend on these upgrades to get the most return on the money spent. The more info you have about your home value will allow you to make moves with more certainty.
I hope that helps.
Allyson
408-705-6578
allyson@homesbyallyson.com
DRE# 01397256
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 9, 2011
The overall resale value of your home depends more on neighborhood comparable sales, not necessarily flooring. But to answer your specific question, I have more buyer clients who prefer hardwood. However, don't spend too much that you can't get back. Depending upon what the comps reveal, you may want to consider laminate (preferably bamboo). If you would like me to email you a complimentary home valuation/comparable sales report, please contact me through my Trulia profile.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 8, 2011
Home88,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 8, 2011
Thank you home 88.

Yes, as Terri Velios pointed out tile and many other flooring options are very taste specific.

Bamboo is another option that is taste specific, although bamboo certainly has a very strong following, especially in this valley.

Laminates are generally considered easier to maintain and certainly have their fans.

However if you are really looking for something that will increase the resale value of your home or decrease the number of days on market, there is nothing that beats good old solid hardwood flooring.

If you plan to be in your home for many more years, and are replacing your flooring because it needs to be replaced, then I recommend that you put in the flooring that you and youir family want and will be happiest with, because you will be living with it for a long time.

I recommend that you consider any increase in resale value as a nice bonus.

If you are only only replacing your flooring because you are planning to put your home on the market, and your current flooring is worn out, old or dated, then I recommend that you really spend some time and consult with your REALTOR to determine which flooring will get you the best return on your investment for your specific house in your neighborhood.

The flooring that will get you the best return on your investment will vary based on a number of factors, including, but not limited to with the type of house that you have, the price range that you are in, the neighborhood where you are located and essentially the individual preferences of the likely buyers in your local market area.

For example if the likely buyers for your house are families with children the flooring that will get you the best return on your investment on resale will be very different than if the likely buyers are likely to be professionals without children who often entertain formal groups of people at their home.

Only a good analysis by your REALTOR based on your specific home and your neighborhood and the lilkely buyers who will pay you the most money for your specific home in the shortest amount of time and at the best terms can give you a really good answer for your specific home.

a
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 8, 2011
Wood or Bamboo are good choices and do add to a quicker resale. Laminate is less popular. Tile is very taste specific. If it is in the bathroom,laundry and kitchen and tasteful in color and size then it can add to resale. But in the other living areas not desired.

All the best to you.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 8, 2011