Home Selling in Charlotte>Question Details

Estate4real88, Other/Just Looking in Charlotte, NC

What do I need to do to start real estate in North Carolina?

Asked by Estate4real88, Charlotte, NC Thu Jan 20, 2011

I currently don't have a job/car. Times have been bad, but I've been quite interested in pursuing this career field. Ideally I would love to flip properties but I'm taking one step at a time. Thanks!

Answers

17
Real estate is a wonderful career path, but it is just that - a career. It isn't something to do on a whim. That said, there are some questions that you need to answer for yourself before deciding to dive in.

What are my goals?
Will real estate help me reach them?
Why do am I interested in real estate?
Am I passionate about developing my business?
Can I afford the expenses of getting started? (pre-licensing, exam, joining association/MLS, etc.)
How will I fund my real estate business until it generates enough revenue to sustain itself?
What types of second jobs are compatible with a real estate career?

Answering these questions will help you develop a plan. Ask other real estate professionals what they think about your plan. If you truly want to be successful in real estate, you'll find a way to make it work.

***IF YOU AGREE WITH THIS ANSWER, GIVE ME A THUMBS UP***

Jay White, GRI
Real Estate Consultant, REALTOR, Broker & Investor in NC & SC
The White Group with Keller Williams Realty
Exceptional results in Charlotte real estate for two generations!

Connect with us on Social Media:
facebook.com/whitegroupcarolinas
twitter: @jaywhitenc
linkedin.com/in/jaywhitenc
youtube.com/jaywhitenc
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 7, 2011
Hello - If you are interested in pursuing a career in real estate, I suggest you attend our upcoming career night at the Superior School of Real Estate with Bill Gallagher. We also have the steps required to get your real estate license on our website at http://www.superiorschoolnc.com\getstarted. Our next career night / open house is Thursday, February 3rd at our Ballantyne Village location.

Steve
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 20, 2011
Realtors are hitting the soup lines in record numbers.
Thanks to HGTV, many folks are under the impression that real estate is a very easy and glamerous career. Far from it! To be a successful real estate professional, on one must obe prepared to work very hard and be ok with making very little money when
starting out. You need to be very realistic about the costs involved in starting a career in real estate. First, you must get licensed. You can take the first pre-licensing course at your local community college for the lowest cost. Once you are licensed, you will need to join a firm. You will need funds to pay the fees required to have mls access, a supra key to get into listings, etc. Basically, nothing is paid for on your behalf. I suggest that you get a job and save some money. I really don't see how you could do this job without a car, so you need to save for a car as well. Prepare yourself for success and you will lessen your likelihood of failure. Best success! Kathleen Turner
In most all cases, you will need a real estate license if you are managing property for others as well. There are some exceptions, but they will limit you as to what you will be able to do...
You might want to consider Property Management. This will generally pay you hourly or salary. You could then pursue your License on the side/afterhours. Some agents also need assistants and pay for this as well. You can learn as you go.

____________________________________

If this post answered your questions, GIVE ME A THUMBS UP!
____________________________________
Nate Wolf was recently named a FIVE STAR REALTOR by Charlotte Magazine. He is a top producing real estate sales broker, representing both buyers and sellers. He is a member of the National Association of Realtors, The Charlotte Regional Realtors Association and the Carolina Multiple Listing Services. He is licensed in multiple states and serves all areas of Metro Charlotte from Lake Norman to Lake Wylie and Uptown / Center City to SouthPark and Ballantyne.

http://www.natewolf.com
charlotte mls realtor home listings
http://www.CLThome.com
Web Reference: http://www.natewolf.com
hi,

Its really nice idea but due to recession problem real state business is in down fall in North Carolina .So, better to re-examine once before starting
Web Reference: http://www.weboldest.com
It might be challanging for you to start, however if this is your dream job then work harder than anyone else. Start getting your real eatate license, pay your dues and try to get a car. Everybody has to start from somewhere.
http://www.dallashomelist.com
Take class through local real estate school, pass state exam, pay dues/fees and get your license! Find a broker that will sponsor you to get started so it will help cover a lot of your marketing costs etc. - good luck!
There is a lot involved in getting your real estate license. But it is worth it. I think your question is valid. Know what you are getting into before you make the leap.

Contact me, please. I will explain to you step-by-step what it takes.

Kind Regards,

MarKus
Premier Real Estate Consultant
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 28, 2011
I have always wondered why anyone would want to come into this business at this time in the market. However, this is a market of opportunity and is a GREAT market for investors. That being said, you need to be very realistic about the costs involved in "getting into real estate". Pre-licensing class costs are just a drop in a very deep bucket. Before you spend a nickle, you need to know exactly how much it will cost you to get a license and where you are going to get the money to pay for everything. You will join the local, state and national realtor associations, join mls, etc - all costing money. You will have to have a car! You will need to align yourself with a firm - one that offers the training you will need to learn the business of real estate. Real estate companies have monthly fees. You literally have to pay to play! You will not be a superstar seller overnight. It takes time to build a business. What funds will you have to live in while you are not making any money, and are in fact, specding money? At the height of the market, we had around 10,000 real estate licensees here in Charlotte, we are down to around 7,000 - there is a reason for that!

If you truly dream of being a real estate investor and flipper, consider working towards that goal by saving money for a cash purchase. Without a job, you will not be able to get a mortgage. The funny thing about being a realtor too - we are self-employeed and can't get mortgages either! Find a job, save some money, then decide if real estate is really the career for you.

One tip: CPCC offers real estate pre-licensing courses at a fraction of the cost of the private schools. The classes are mandated and regulated by the North Carolina Real Estate Commission, so all are essentially the same. Best success!
I love being a Realtor! It affords me so much flexibility. You are your own boss, to some extent. I find it extremely challenging and rewarding and highly recommend it to anyone who is ready to take charge of their life and career. First, you must enroll in and pass the pre-licensing course. I took mine through Terry Wilson at Superior School of Real Estate (excellent). Then, you must pass the state exam. Once you do, you will be a "Provisional Broker". You will need to take 3 post-licensing courses to remove the provisional status. While you are provisional, you will have to associate yourself with a broker-in-charge. Your education doesn't stop there, you will have to take CE (continuing ed) classes each year and I highly recommend that you associate with a broker-in-charge that will give you the education that you will need your first few years. You will need a car, computer, phone, fax or efax capability. I will tell you that the fees and dues to become a Realtor and maintain your license can be expensive, but well worth it! Feel free to call with any questions: 704.499.1291. Thanks and good luck!
It would be great if you could take the real estate licensing classes and get your license. But that is a lot of money to spend if you are not sure, or if you want to flip properties. It maybe better to concentrate on learning as much as you can but working as an intern for a person who does this for a living. You could start by helping them with basics like clean outs, removing carpet, etc. And work your way up to running errands and curb appeal projects. Offer to help them In exchange for learning by shadowing them and seeing what they do. To flip properties successfully you need to know what to buy, where to buy it and what to do with it once you own it. Good luck!
Enroll into a school for real estate. Pass all the pre license exams to get certified then pay the fee to take the state license exam. Pay for the state license, join the local MLS and Realtor Association and pay those fees. It is not a cheap process, but if you have a good pipeline in place you could get a return your investment quickly.
Is this a serious question? You have got to be kidding.