Ginger, Home Seller in 96064

What do I do if my tenants don't cooperate when I have a buyer who wants to look at my property? The last time it happened they just

Asked by Ginger, 96064 Tue Oct 13, 2009

didn't respond to the 24 hr notice I left on their cellphone. They also have slightly "threatened" to keep
the house messy unless I reduced their rent by $100 so they could hire a maid.
Can I nail a 24 hr notice to the front door and let the
agent and buyers go into
the house without the renter
there? I live in Calif.

Answers

3
Review your lease agreement....that is the guiding document that spells out what you can and can not do.

Ultimately, tenants can and usually will make it very difficult for a landlord to show the property unless they have an incentive (usually financial) to do so. Hopefully the lease agreement specifically spells out when the home can be shown, who can show it and under what terms it can be shown. You might also review the landlord / tenant laws of your state which should be fairly easy to access online.
Hi Ginger!

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I would suggest contacting a lawyer regarding your questions.

Or, set up a time to meet with a REALTOR. There are a lot of questions and answers they would need to ask you further regarding what is happening.

Hope this helps!

Kim Roetto
Broker Sales Associate
Coldwell Banker Chris Kutzkey REALTORS
Call a housing attorney as soon as you can. I know it can be frustrating dealing with difficult occupants but tenants have SO many rights and you don't want to put yourself in legal peril.