Home Selling in Maryland>Question Details

Mg, Home Seller in Maryland

What do I do about an agent that lies to me about why she is lower the house price? She is actually lowering it at the behest of my ex-husband.

Asked by Mg, Maryland Thu May 10, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


Are you a party to the listing agreement? If so, then you have a say. If you don't want the price lowered and the agent reduced it anyway, you should fire her immediately. Send a written communication to the broker advising them you are firing the broker due to her agent's dishonesty.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 12, 2012
The agent should not be lying to anyone. Lowering the price of your home is an financial decision laced with emotion that should based on market factors the agent should present to both of YOU. Representing both husband and wife in a home sale due to divorce is challanging enough for all parties but when one of the owners stops cooperating in the process there is no progress in the home sale.

I have handled many home sales due to divorce. Generally one spouse will attempt to "Pit" the agent against the other owner. Particularly if the home is occupied by the ex-spouse.

Your agent should be recommending price changes based on days on market and market response to you home...or lack of it.

I will wager you are living in the house!!

Greg Myers
REMAX Realty Group
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 10, 2012
She is lying to you about your Ex telling her lower the Listing Price:
Do we have that correct?

So what you are saying is that you and your Ex have put her in the middle, between you, and you are both squeezing her;
Is that about what's happening?

Let's think about this for a minute or two.......
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 10, 2012
It is always best to ask your attorney. With that said, if both your names are on the deed, it must be in writing -from both of you- for your agent to lower the price. If your name is NOT on the deed, technically you don't have much say in the matter. If you ARE on the deed, and decisions are being made with our your input and permission, and you are not getting anywhere with the agent, contact the agent's manager and/or broker. In Maryland if you call the agent's office number, there must be a way to reach the manager or broker. They should be able to clear the matter up for you.
Best of luck,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 10, 2012
If this is a property you own jointly with your husband you should have an equal say as that agent works for BOTH of you. If it is not, you wouldn't have to work with the agent at all. In general, if the house is not selling AND it shows well then a price decrease may be in order. Best of luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 10, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer