Home Selling in Destin>Question Details

Aubrey Santu…, Real Estate Pro in Miramar Beach, FL

What day of the week is best for an open house?

Asked by Aubrey Santucci, Miramar Beach, FL Sun Aug 8, 2010

Answers

14
Hello, there is no magical day for an open house. I usually evaluate the neighborhood to see the type of neighborhood I'm selling in.

For instance, a neighborhood with alot of shopping then it may be good to have an open hosue on an early Saturday afternoon.

If there's many churches in the area where the house is selling then maybe you want to do an open house on a Sunday and stay until the church lets out.

For more quieter areas where there's no action, you may want to do an open house during the week in the evening when people come home from work.

**Check out my new blog at: http://www.DailyRealEstateBuzz.blogspot.com
Web Reference: http://www.RhondaHolt.com
Aubrey,
that is a great question. I was wondering that myself. I have tried different days to have a real world experience on this question. I so far found out in general Sunday seems to be the best. But that does not mean other days are not effective tools to promote your property. I think most effective drivers of interest for an open house have been price and location.
I also make sure I use my time at open houses effectively. I have my laptop and internet access( though cell or the clients network with their permission) That way whether or not anyone shows up I can still respond to email or answer questions ,Like I am right now. Also when a person does drop by I have any info ready for them and I can then send out an email and enter their info while it is fresh in my mind. I also have a portable printer to print out any info on the spot, including a contract. This makes my open houses office time to work on business rather than watching the grass grow .
When I have open houses I try to think about the traffic patterns. For example, I had a home that was on a main route to a school. I held the home open in the morning and got some of the parents as they were leaving the school. The Saturday or Sunday opens did not do nearly as well.

I have also had opens during rush hour as it gets my listings noticed when there are no other open house signs out.

I have had more luck with odd times for an open rather than Saturday or Sunday, unless the home is one of the first ones in the subdivision.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 8, 2010
Weekends! Creating a buzz with phone calls and street signs to drive traffic is important to get the ball rolling..
In my opinion it is all about the location of the property. In a beach community with many rentals it super to hold an open house on check in days like Friday and Saturday. Many families have to wait to check in and cruise nearby neighborhoods for property with family in tow. Equally important is time of year...Again families and individuals visiting from afar have extra time to preview properties. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Fourth of July etc. Everyday holds opportunity. Look at the location and community actives for clues.
I am thinking of having an open house soon and I was not sure what day would work best. Based on everyones input, I am going to have to choose either a Saturday or Sunday.
I have found that Sunday is best between 1 - 5 pm. I also have been doing happy hour/open houses from 5-9 on Fridays and those are really taking off. It's more casual/social and everyone loves to have a cocktail, view a beatiful home and chat w/like minded individuals. It's great because your other prefered professionals can attend as well and answer any specific questions that your visitors may have. It's all about networking and this works great!
Wednesday nights during the summer 5 to 7pm would be recommended and of course Sunday 12 to 2 never fails. And if it does fail. It's time to ask yourself a few serious questions. Good Luck, Liz
I like the question and found the information very helpful.

Thank you Aubrey for asking it.
Hi, Aubrey: I recently found that a weekday can be better for condos because Saturday is check-in and check out day so out of towners are not likely to be looking at real estate. Then, they are likely to want to spend Sunday relaxing at the beach for their first day of vacation. I had great results at an open house I held at a beach condo on a Thursday. Good luck!
Sunday is traditional and best, because buyers are used to thinking about open houses on Sundays. But with the Internet, you can announce Saturday open houses more effectively than ever, and you'll get visitors as long as you put notice on a highly visited web site.
Good Afternoon,

I sell homes in two different states. You would be surprised how though so close in miles the way agents have public open houses and broker/agent open houses vary.

Public Open Houses:
New York: I have found most of the open houses on both Saturday and Sunday..anywhere from 12-4pm
New Jersey: I have found most open houses on Sunday only.

Broker/Agent Open Houses:
New York: Are not much into having them
New Jersey (monmouth county) is usually on Thrusdays between 12-4

So to answer your question with my break down above..would be ...check your area and go with the flow.

Good Luck
Web Reference: http://cathycataletto.com
Oh by the way .Kamal how did you get such a precise time? Are their statistics somewhere? If so what is the website? I love info like that .( I really need to get a real hobby)
Sunday, between 11:00 AM and 2:30 PM
Web Reference: http://www.kamalsalim.com