Home Selling in Pflugerville>Question Details

frustratedse…, Home Seller in Pflugerville, TX

What can a seller do if potential buyers say, "the floorplan doesn't work or flow.?"

Asked by frustratedseller, Pflugerville, TX Wed Oct 2, 2013

2 story home with 5 bedrooms 4 up (including master) 1 down...3 full baths 2 up 1 down. Study/Formal living area in the front of the house across from a formal dining. Kitchen Breakfast nook all open to Family Room back of the house. Bedroom in a hallway off of family room bathroom across from laundry room and then garage door...house has been on the market 6 months...3 contracts (2 retracted for stupid reasons and 1 ridiculously low ball offer countered and buyer walked away)

Answers

8
You can't make every buyer happy.
I agree! It sucks though. We get great feedback! The house shows very well and is very clean, yet no official takers yet!
Flag Wed Oct 2, 2013
You can't do anything about a home's floor plan but you can do something about the appearance of the layout. One of my listings had a nice but odd floor plan and the furniture, accessories, and placement of items within the home made it look and feel more odd.

As I evaluated the home it became clear that the problem was not so much the floor plan but lack of a comfortable flow in the house from one area to the next. I quickly hired a well-known professional interior designer. The company used some of and removed items in the house resulting in a cohesive and function-friendly floor plan flow and environment. It only took me a few days to generate new buyer and agent activity resulting in a cash offer and closing within 10 days of the offer. Total listing period to accepted offer was less than 60 days.

I think it would be very tough for some sellers to look at their homes and see anything other than their comfortable homes full of wonderful memories and collectibles. Good luck to you and thank you for sharing your story.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 3, 2013
You are welcome! You've received some great activity on the house and received offers...folks are interested in your house. I truly enjoy motivating, inspiring, and exciting buyers. As a broker, failure is never an option in my business. I thrive on challenges and this results in positive solutions for my clients. With offers, I always suggest to my clients that it does not matter if an offer comes in low. Getting an offer is a grand opportunity to renegotiate terms and pricing. Lowering the price will invite additional pool of buyers, and maybe generate second showings from prior interested buyers. Please update us on your progress. We are here to help! Thanks again and best of luck to you.
Flag Fri Oct 4, 2013
Thank you! We've done all we can, so we've just lowered the price and we'll see what happens. It's a nice house, someone will love it!
Flag Thu Oct 3, 2013
Ouch. I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations here.

We have a couple of listings where "floor plan" came up in the feedback. There isn't really much you can do about that.

The fact that you have had offers and were under contract twice is a good sign overall. I would say that patience needs to be a part of it.

Good luck to you!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 3, 2013
Thank you!
Flag Thu Oct 3, 2013
Hello Frustrated,

Selling a home can be stressful. Assuming the home is priced correctly and it appears that may be the case because you have had some offers I can recommend the following. If there is an issue with the floorplan you really cannot do much with that but you can make sure the home is staged to show as well as possible.

Make sure you remove any overly large furniture to open up rooms. This will automatically create a better flow. Remove a lot of the personal items and make sure rooms are being used for the purpose they are created for. Make sure there is plenty of light. Roll up the blinds and make sure the windows are spotless. I could go on but this should give you some ideas if you have not done all of this already.

Hope this helps.

_____________________________________________________
Don Groff | REALTOR® & Mortgage Broker
Austin Real Estate Pros & 360 Lending Group
o 512.669.5599 | m 512.633.4157 | listings@dongroff.com
websites: http://www.AustinListed.com | http://www.360LendingGroup.com
Web Reference: http://www.AustinListed.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 3, 2013
We 've done pretty much all of the above. Thank you!
Flag Thu Oct 3, 2013
Hi Frustrated Seller,

Here are some suggestions that I hope will help. Have your realtor do another market analysis but this time only compare your home to other homes with the master bedroom upstairs. You may find that homes with the master bedroom up have a longer time on market and/or a lower sale price. I just sold my son's home and all of his bedrooms were up.

What were the reasons that the 2 buyers cancelled during the option period? Did you get a copy of their home inspection report. I recommend either using one of their inspection reports or having your own pre-inspection and then fixing everything within reason.

Also, buyers planning to use an FHA loan will not be able to get a "case number" until after the government shut down is over. I think that VA loans are still OK but a buyer using a conventional loan is preferable - at least until the government shutdown is over.

Best wishes.

Nancy Filgate, REALTOR®
ABR, CRS, e-PRO, GRI
Smart Source Realty
nancy@filgate.com
SellingAustinTX.com
Mobile: 512.351.1497 Home Office: 512.528.1651
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 2, 2013
How many times have you heard that out of the 20 + showings? Is the same floor plan for sale somewhere else? Or has the same floor plan sold recently in your neighborhood. Have your realtor look at those sales to see if you're priced in the same range or talk with the other listing agents to see if they are having or have had the same comments.
Have you asked what it is about your floor that doesn't work or doesn't flow?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 2, 2013
Try rearranging furniture or even removing some furniture. Try and define spaces and focal points, potentially changing the feel of the layout.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 2, 2013
I would say to you is to check with your realtor and see what other floor plans are selling for in the neighbourhood and see just how do you stock up against yours then decide if your are within the same price range.

Congratulations on your plan to sell your home! No matter if you are an experienced homebuyer or selling your home for the first time, we are here to help you. This is our home online and we work hard to make you feel at home. Most sellers have a tendency to call a Realtor when they are ready to sell home and after it is sold they then try and get a mortgage on a new home. We at Dallas Best Mortgage over the years have seen the pitfalls of this very bad decision, as many sellers have faced the fact that they did not get per-qualified for their new mortgage prior to listing. My advice to you is to allow me to get you mortgage ready prior to any listing as go register at http://relocationclub.com/?lender_page=lender-dallas-best-mo… to get discount off your next settlement cost.
My only job is ensuring that you make the right choice for you and your family and I am committed to providing my customers with mortgage services that exceed their expectations.. As always, you may contact me anytime by phone, fax or email for personalized service and receive expert advice from a Loan Officer who D Magazine, Texas Monthly, Angie’s List, Better Business Bureau and National and North Texas Association of Mortgage Professionals is proud to call one of the very best in the industry and who will be personally responsible for the decisions on you mortgages.

I look forward to working with you! And making your dreams a REALITY

Lowell Sterling
Mortgage Banker
NMLS# 968898
LSterling@DallasBestMortgage.com
1910 Firman Dr, Suite 104 | Richardson, TX 75081
Mobile 469-347-3572| Fax: 469-519-8765
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 2, 2013
AND we've had over 20 showings since we've been on the market!
Flag Wed Oct 2, 2013
Our agent is great, it's just the HOUSE :-(
We are in the price range for what's in the area and have reduced as low as we are willing to go. Thank you!
Flag Wed Oct 2, 2013