Home Selling in San Mateo>Question Details

Rosanna, Both Buyer and Seller in San Mateo, CA

What are the typical CA title and escrow fees for the seller.?

Asked by Rosanna, San Mateo, CA Tue Mar 16, 2010

Just trying to get a rough idea of what my fees might be if I sell a home in the SF bay area

Answers

7
It depends on the county and there are 9 of them in the Bay Area. To get an idea you would need to tell me the sales price, and county and I could give you somewhat of an estimate.
Hi Rosanna,

Every title company creates "cheat sheets" of sorts that we all get that tell us who pays for what fees, transfer taxes, and other charges. The reality is that everything is negotiable. When you do go to sell, don't be afraid to demand that your Agent negotiate for the Buyer to pay some of these charges that are typically paid by you the Seller. As a Realtor, it is my responsibility to negotiate contracts that ideally get a client exactly what they want and obviously that would include getting as much money in your pocket as possible. With that said, the Buyer and their Agent may refuse but it doesn't hurt to try. The same applies on both sides of a transaction regardless if you are a Buyer or Seller.

Which title company you use to close your transaction can effect what you pay as well. Most title and escrow companies fees are comperable these days but it does vary.

If you like, I can direct you to my contacts at the most prominent title companies in San Mateo and they can provide you with current general figures that apply to your situation in particular. They would be more than happy to do so.

Every little bit helps as well all know!

Christopher
650.288.9033
christopher@YourNewRealtor.com
I think if you have the county and the estimated sales price any of the people below could get you the figures you're looking for.
Rosanna,
The previous answers are correct. My suggestion is to call a local escrow and title company (local to the property) and ask them to prepare an estimated settlement statement for you for the specific address. In California escrow and title are usually handled by the same company.

Ask them to include all appropriate fees for the transaction. I have used the following companies and found them to be excellent:

1. First American Title Company
2. North American Title
3. Fidelity Title
4. Chicago Title
5. Old Republic Title
Hi Rosanna,
The two answers previously posted are correct. Often the most overlooked one is the city transfer tax that is usually paid by the seller in San Mateo county, with the exception as mentioned above in Hillsborough and San Mateo where it is split 50/50 between buyer and seller. It is also good to consider that some buyers may ask the seller to help pay some of their closing costs. In this market it is not uncommon and even though they are asking for this, they may still be the best offer when taking everything into consideration. I would be happy to discuss this further or any other questions you may have. Feel free to call me.

Brandon Denman - Realtor
DRE # 01378663
Pacific Coast Real Estate
brandondenman@comcast.net
http://www.mypeninsulahome.com
650-303-0880 cell
Rosana,

Typical closing costs vary from city to city depending on point of sale ordinances and transfer tax fees, but customary seller closing costs are Real Estate Commission (typically 5-6% of purchase price depending on location); county transfer tax fee which is customarily $1.10 per every $1000; notary fees (vary depending on amount needed to be notarized); Natural Hazard Zone Disclosure (Typically $99.99-$139.00); Property Tax Proration; Any unpaid homeowners dues, HOA document and/or demand fees (if applicable); interest accrued to lender being paid off, pre-payment penalties or reconveyence fees (if apply). Other closing costs paid by seller could be a credit for the buyer's closing costs and/or repairs, inspections, home warranty.
If you are thinking of selling, when interviewing Realtors, don't be afraid to ask for an estimated seller's net sheet, so you know ahead of time an estimate of what costs you will have at close of escrow. This will give yo a clear picture of what to expect. Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me to discuss further.

Good Luck,
If you are selling in San Mateo County, usually the buyer pays escrow charges and title fees. The seller usually is responsible for County Transfer Tax ($1.10 per $1,000) and will split the City Transfer Tax with the buyer for cities such as Hillsborough ($0.50 per $1,000) and San Mateo ($5 per $1,000).
Web Reference: http://www.catherinesun.com