Home Selling in Malibu>Question Details

Monica Der E…,  in 90210

What are the reasons you choose to work with one Real Estate Agent over another?

Asked by Monica Der Excellent Service From Malibu to Beverly Hills www.monicader.com, 90210 Sun Mar 21, 2010

In a city where there are so many agents competing for limited business, what does it take for an agent to really get your attention. Is it big marketing? Is it loads of experience? Is it a testimonial from a trusted friend?

Answers

7
@Alan:

If it’s grey hair and wrinkles, so far you are the leading contender ... :)

Other than Dan, whose opinion is usually different than a normal buyer, we don’t have any "end users" commenting so far ... so I'll chime in.

I buy homes in other states, and look for local realtors with extensive local knowledge and understanding of current market conditions (that usually translates to someone who has done a fairly large number of transactions in the past year). More important, I want them to answer their phones and emails. Promptly.

I was recently looking for a REALTOR® in an eastern state. I did my research and then and sent out a number of email queries. I did not get ONE response. I started calling, and even then did not get responses. I finally went with the first person who actually answered the phone and am now in escrow.
.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 22, 2010
a Realtor is your hired help, just like the pool guy or the yard boy - that all that they are!

negotiate the best price, heck, have fun with it,

interview a dozen or so, have them pick up the tab for lunch and or entertainment after all, they expect that from loan officers and home inspectors
Carl, I always knew I was " different "...

You have a big advantage. Being a realtor you can easily tell when someone you find knows their stuff or not. I am sure in 15 minutes you can size them up with 98% accuracy.

It is still a lot harder for those who are not so much into the industry.
You can draw in people with big marketing .But I think the key is too be honest and forthright. People will contact you due to advertising, but if you do not prove your value as a trusted advisor in real estate. Then you will always only get clients though more advertising. I belive that if you prove your value as a agent people will want their friends and family to use you. Client referal is how to get attention. I feel to many agents forget that agents are there to inform and guide a client though the process of buying or selling. Agents are there to" broker" the deal. That is activly work on the deal to make sure all interested parties are working together smoothly .
Web Reference: http://robertsuarez.net
old and wrinkled?? woo hoo!
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Hello Monica and thanks for your post.

I tend to agree with Dan on this one--what makes a great agent? I've seen good ones who are brand new to the business; poor ones who have sold real estate since the sixties, and those who are everything in-between. There are many with billboards, signs on benches, pictures on shopping carts, and while I'm sure they get a lot of business from those sources, it can be difficult to invest $10,000 or more in marketing when the results are only discernable after months of steady marketing and, for many, that type of investment is simply out of reach. Marketing and other ingredients aside, it's about differentiating yourself from the "pack." How you choose to do that, however, can be something that you and broker discuss or a method that you promote.

For me, I've been working with internet buyers who know what they want and use the Realtor to help faciliate the sale. In return, I charge an extremely nominal 1 percent fee, and the buyer gets everything over that amount. I'm also working with both buyers and sellers who want hassle free home sales in a program I've dubbed the "Quiet Transaction". In this situation, I match sellers with buyers in areas where they want to buy. This is NOT a program for bargain hunter buyers or sellers hoping to make a great deal more than market, but for the almost dozen homeowners we've helped in our short 3 month roll-out period, it's been a great way to find a home and to sell one at greatly reduced commission without hassles. Doing all of this, however, requires an understanding and highly flexible broker, which is why you'll find me at Area Pro Realty rather than a more established big-name brokerage.

Finding clients, cultivating leads, and, most importantly, building a practice takes ingenuity and planning. It is not as simply as sending out cards or letters or knocking on doors. The best method is to find a different route. Good luck!!

Grace Morioka, SRES
Area Pro Realty
Tel (408) 426-1616
Email: graceareaprorealty@att.net
It is really going to be luck of the draw. So far I have not been able to figure out how to really tell who would be a good agent and who would not. Experience can be a big plus, but that does not always mean quality. Understanding the market is a big plus, yet I have never seen any realtor who would say they did NOT know their market.

Big marketing does not attract me. It does not work to get me to eat at KFC, it does not bring me to any specific realtor. I have learned that a testimonial may not be worth much. After all, the friend may not realize how badly they got hosed because of their realtor.

I am going to be looking in areas I do not live in or have family and friends in. Finding a good realtor is still a mystery when it comes to good results.

I could say cute and single, but honestly, old, wrinkled, and knowledgeable is a lot more valuable in a realtor. After all, they are supposed to be saving my bacon.