Home Selling in Villanova>Question Details

Jonathan Kof…, Real Estate Pro in Wayne, PA

What are the positive and negative using an agent with a large number of listings to sell my property.?

Asked by Jonathan Koffler, Wayne, PA Mon Apr 4, 2011

I hear sellers and buyers stating sometimes how important it is to use an agent with a large number of issues. I would think that the more listings the agent has, the less hands on they have with their sellers.

Tyler Morrison’s answer

To start off, I love real estate, and the people who surround me. However, the fact of the matter is, just like in any industry, there are the good, and there are the bad; there are the lazy, and there are the motivated. In my personal opinion, the number of listings you have does not matter. I think we can all agree, real estate is a numbers game - the more perspective buyers who walk through a home, the better the odds of selling it; the more listings you have, the better chance of your listings sold percentage will go up. The number of properties one has just adds to the "flashiness" of the agent. Because let's be honest here, everyone wants to look good, especially in real estate.

One thing I always advise consumers to do is to peel back the layers of an agent, like an onion. The second question that every consumer should ask their real estate agent is: How can John/Jane Doe be of the best assistance for me and my needs?

Now watch, there is a huge difference between having no listings and being a bad agent; don't compare apples and oranges.

Many agents are going to hate me for saying this, but:
Each and every consumer should ask for designated agency rather than participating in dual agency, if this case does come up. Would you hire the same lawyer who is prosecuting you to defend you in the court of law? Quite simple - No. So why do this in real estate?

Above, is the most important question that consumers should ask their real estate agent: Will you participate in dual agency? Why? If you are the buyer, the agent will be working for the individual who is paying them, the seller; the higher the sale price, the higher the final commission. If you are the seller, your agent is working with the buyer, negotiating your final sale price lower. Make sense? If not, contact me and I will explain more in depth.

As I stated, it all comes down to peeling back the layers. For more information as to what questions you should pose to your real estate agent, contact me.

Tyler J. Morrison
Real Estate. Swimming Pools. Investments.
24/7: (484) 533-7111

Gunite Specialists, Inc.
GSI Pool Finishes, Inc.
US Spaces, Inc.
Web Reference: http://tylerjmorrison.com
Hi Jonathan and fellow PA Agent!

I feel its how you are going to service them. Some that have allot of listings may have a team or not. Some with no listings may be indicative to their level of service. But then the reverse can be said (an agent has no listings because they sell them fast or just happens to be low on listings).

However sellers should review how that agent is going to sell their home regardless of how many listings they have. You would be surprised to see that some are not utilizing what they could.

Is the agent internet savvy in selling their home. Do they have a website that is ranked on the search engines, content that adds value to their experience, usability that is above the average? Do they make a listing website that showcases their home exclusively and can pinpoint marketing for it? Do they send the listing to be seen on the major real estate web sites and "premiered" above the crowd. Virtual tour sent to youtube and hundreds of video web sites and keyworded so it shows up on youtube and google searches.

Is the agent connected to social media in a way that they have "spheres" of community conversations that can drum interest quickly? Do they have a collection of buyers they are working with that the agent can quickly market to them the day they list.

In fact what really should impress sellers is the resources an agent has at their disposal and how well they can demonstrate a comprehensive plan to sell their home better. They should show 3rd party proof of properties they marketed in the past and client testimonials of they went above and beyond.

These days its not just listing in the MLS and advertising it in the paper. The connections you have on the internet can give instant exposure for sellers' homes. A great combination of advanced website and facebook real estate website, youtube, twitter, facebook, trulia, zillow, realtor.com and other sites gives the listing an exposure you can't get anywhere else..

So look at HOW they have sold homes first. Check out testimonials. If they are doers rather than "sure we can do that" when you interview them then I feel how many listings they have is secondary.
Thank you for your response. What type of marketing would you consider aggressive marketing.
Hi, Jonathan,

You might be right, BUT experience has much value, especially in a challenging market. An agent with few or no listings might lack the experience to know how to attract the right Buyer and negotiate the right terms. Most agents with numerous listings already have systems set up that insure that they pay attention to each client and each property. They don't have to invent stuff on the fly, because they have been through the process numerous times.

You might not want to list with an agent who has several listings in the same neighborhood, though, because you don't want your property to be "just one of their inventory". An agent who knows the neighborhood and who is an aggressive marketer for their other listings might be a better choice. They won't have any conflicts of interest with other nearby listings.

Doc Stephens, REALTOR®
Web Reference: http://TellEllen.com