Home Selling in Denver>Question Details

Kato Mitchell, Real Estate Pro in Westminster, CO

What are the 10 most important Questions to ask when hiring a Real Estate Broker to list your property?

Asked by Kato Mitchell, Westminster, CO Mon Feb 8, 2010

Answers

6
1. What is your experience in this market?
2. What is your experience in this price range?
3. What advice can you give me on the preparation and staging for my home?
4. Where do you plan on marketing my home for sale?
5. Can you show me what examples of what the marketing materials will look like?
6. Will my house be on websites, such as Trulia, Zillow, etc.? Ought to be!
7. What price do you think is the best price to list at, given the market conditions, recent sales, etc.?
8. What other activities would you plan for getting the house sold (open houses, broker tour, etc.)?
9. Can you please tell me your experience in negotiating?
10. Do you have testimonials from past or current clients?
Web Reference: http://www.heidilaros.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 8, 2010
Interesting that an agent has posted this question (?). I've read lots of lists written by different agents, telling home sellers what questions they should ask. I find that they are pretty self-serving. For instance, if the agent has a record of sellng their listings quickly, they recommend that people ask about the average days on market. But then if an agent takes short sales, their average days on market isn't going to be such a pretty number. So that agent would leave that question off the list. I think people should 'google' the agent's name before the agent even gets there, and formulate questions based on what they find - or don't find - online.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 8, 2010
Heidi:

I very much liked your list of questions, but I especially liked this one:

"5. Can you show me what examples of what the marketing materials will look like?"

When listing a home, real estate agents usually act as marketers. I know of no other situation in which someone applying for a marketing job brings no samples of her or his previous work. Marketing is hard. One needs to know how buyers think, what kind of language motivates them, which photos will grab their attention and how language, image and design facilitate buying decisions. Home seller should understand how an agent will help guide qualified buyers through the process of choosing and purchasing the seller's home.

Ron Rovtar
Prudential Real Estate of the Rockies
Boulder, CO
303.473,1926
I would think the number one question would be can they cancel the contract if they are not satisfied with you.
Web Reference: http://wwwlgitabantwal.com
The 10 most important to the Seller or the Listing Agent.
The Seller will ask "How long till you get it sold and how much will it cost me?"
Are you asking this to prepare for a listing? Be prepared for any and all questions.
Brian
There isn't any particular set of questions. It's what is important to the buyer/seller that matters. Some may want or expect more than others. Some may want more hand holding. Others may want more tech savy agents. What is important is an agent should be able to handle whatever needs the buyer/seller is looking for. If an agent is lacking in some areas, then they should do what's neccessary to rectify the deficiency.