Home Selling in Ocean>Question Details

Jani Maleh H…, Real Estate Pro in 08837

What are the best places to advertise a home in Ocean(Mon Cty),for sale? Asbury PKPress? NY Times? Star Ldgr?

Asked by Jani Maleh Hayes, 08837 Tue Jul 29, 2008

I don't want to waste money on Newspaper ads, but I need to advertise my Open House.(Ocean Twp,Monmouth County)...What have you been finding effective media to advertise in?
thanks,
jani

Answers

4
Jani,

I'm assuming you are an agent since you are listed as real estate pro therefore do you have an enhanced package on realtor.com? At my opens, I monitor where and how my visitors came to find my open house and most of them will say either the internet (realtor.com allows you to post the open houses), as does trulia, openhouse.com, and PNJP's website which gets fed through to many additional websites through RSS Feeds. Does your company offer this type of "inline marketing"? If not, then I definitely recommend you posting on Craigs List (it seems to be an effective way to advertise opens for Essex County - not sure about your counties). I also post it on the virtual tour website and if you create a free postlets account - postlets will feed directly to other websites as well. Directional signs (if permitted by town) have always attracted traffic to my opens as well. In months I have not had a visitor come from a newspaper ad.

Hope I was able to help and good luck!

Gina Chirico, Sales Associate
Prudential NJ Properties
973-239-7700 ext 132
973-715-1158 cell
GinaChirico@PruNewJersey.com
Jani
A couple of thoughts. I checked out your profile and your listing.

First, you may be selling your home without professional representation, which is fine, but I would suggest re-classifying yourself as a seller. You are going to get a lot of answers aimed at responding to a REaltor posing a question and they will not make sense.

Two, you think that by selling without professional representation you will save money and net more at closing. The fact is that 90% of people use a Realtor when they buy, so most Realtors will not know about your listing, so you are dealing with about 10% of the market.

Three, when a owner sells their home without professional representation they sell to someone they know 5% of the time, someone they don't know 5% of the time, and list it with a REaltor 86% of the time.Owners selling direct sell for, on average, 15% less than homes sold by Realtors. Which makes sense, when only have 10% of the market to work with,

The other issue you should be concerned about it this. How can it be that if you sell without professional representation they sell for less? Think about this. If the Realtor representing the buyers work for "free", why would a buyer NOT work with a REaltor, a local expert, good negotiator? Because they want a deal, and they value getting a deal from you more than there time. And which is worth more? TIme or money?

So my suggestion is this:
\Interview three Realtors. Ask for an estimate of seller's net proceeds. Then you do the math and make the call. If you can sell, great. if you need plan B, you have it. I should warn you that getting an offer and opening escrow, a dog can do that. Negotiating through the other aspects and closing escrow is a whole lot more involved.

Good luck. BTW...you need to have some professional photos taken. I don't think the full beauty of your home is featured with the photos you have.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 29, 2008
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
the tri-city news is cheap.

or look at fsbo.com or forsalebyowner.com
Web Reference: http://www.rentlaw.com
Thank you Keith and Gina for your answers.
I did try to change my classification on trulia as a seller, but I couldn't do it.
I will do what you said Keith, and call a few realtors and see what their opinions are.
I have done the negotiating that you talked about, and I do know what is involved in the sale of a home, not just the offers,etc. As I have just painted the inside of my home, I will be having some new photos taken, too.
Gina,
I do thank you for your honesty about the newspapers, I had a feeling they're kind-of useless lately, especially due to the internet. I have gotten a lot of response from Craigslist, more than I thought I would. One of my realtor friends said she gets most of her customers from the directional signs that you mentioned. Not sure what online advertising my agency does, I will check them out. I like the virtual tours myself.
Looks like I will soon be listing with my agency, I guess just needed to feel things out, and the market is so depressing (at least that's what CNN says! :-)

jani