Home Selling in Durham>Question Details

Kaedae, Both Buyer and Seller in Durham, NC

What are the best interior paint colors to use when selling your home?

Asked by Kaedae, Durham, NC Mon Jun 1, 2009

Answers

6
As a home stager, I am often asked this question. Buyers want a home that is move in ready. They don't want to have to paint or repaint so that the wall colors work with their furniture, which is why everyone says go "neutral". If you're still stuck about what colors to choose, take a look at the paint colors offered by Restoration Hardware. They have a very well edited palette of pleasing colors, and I guarantee they spent thousands of dollars on market research to find the colors most consumers would find appealing. You don't have to buy their paint, but looking at their palette will give you an idea of what direction to go in. Avoid pinks, purples, anything too bright or too dark. Soft mid-tone to lighter colors work best.

Here is a post I wrote about choosing paint colors
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 1, 2009
The color that I have found to be very popular and a good color for re-sale is taupe or a variation of that. In general I have found that more muted and neutral colors tend to work better, these enable the buyer to look at a "clean palate" that way if they want to personalize to more vivid colors it is easier. One thing I would try to avoid is wallpaper, even attractive wallpaper seems to be a turnoff.
One other thing, the taupe looks great with a bright white trim for the moldings and frames.

Hope this is helpful, if I can do anything further for you, please feel free to let me know.

Fritz Hine
Coldwell Banker HPW
Hi Kaedae
I agree neutral colors are the easiest, for potential buyers to imagine their belongings in. However that does not mean your whole home needs to be beige.
Michael
Web Reference: http://www.colvinm.hpw.com
Hello Kaedae,
Neutrals are the safest choice when you are selling your home. Taupe, beige, off white, linen and maybe soft greens. Designer saturated colors are the trend in home decorating right now but I don't recommend any strong color unless it is in a small room like a bathroom or possibly a dining room (dining rooms are a great place to add drama). If your cabinets are white then a strong color may be a good choice for the kitchen. But remember, many buyers will not tour homes that have a lot of taste specific paint color.

I also recommend using a low VOC or no VOC paint which will give you a "green" feature to add to the marketing of your home. I like the Sherwin Williams no VOC paint because you can get it in any of their color choices and it gives exceptional coverage.
Kaedae,

First of all, the colors should be in keeping with the style of the home.

Second, the colors should be "universal" so that buyers can "picture" themselves in the home. If a room is painted a bold purple or pink, for example, it might limit buyers who would feel those colors would go with their existing furniture and decor. In other words, you want to minimize the buyer's objections, and minimize the amount of "perceived" work that the buyer will have. If they can move in and enjoy, you will attract more buyers than if buyers feel they have to repaint before moving in.

In that regard, the popular colors we see are soft greens, yellows and tans.

In bedrooms soft and soothing colors are recommended such as beiges, soft greens, etc. The thought being that a bedroom should be a calm, tranquil room.

If you want to make a bolder statement, paint one wall a contrasting, bolder accent color rather than painting the whole room that color.

Light colors will help a room appear larger.

Dark colors will fade more over time, and show flaws and defects more than light colors.

We hope that is helpful.

Fran and Rowena
The new color trends are bold and bright......our experience through dealing with people looking at homes on a daily basis is that buyers will lean toward more neutral colors. Avoid wallpaper................which becomes too much of an extention of the seller's taste.