Home Selling in Duvall>Question Details

Hailey Chamb…, Both Buyer and Seller in Kirkland, WA

What are the best flowers to plant when selling a home to increase the curb appeal and be low maintenance.?

Asked by Hailey Chamberlain, Kirkland, WA Mon Jul 14, 2008

We are in the Seattle area and would like to add a row of flowers along the front of home to make it more visually eye catching. We want something easy and low maintenance though. Any suggestions?

Answers

14
I tried some potted mums, but they didn't like being transplanted into the ground. They are also more of a fall and halloween flower. Most perrenials don't do well in the season they are transplanted from one place to another or from a pot to the ground They will be great next year, but that doesn't help you sell a house. Stick with annuals.

In shady areas best bet is impatiens...sunny, but not too sunny, go with begonia in white, pink or red. Geraniums in pink or red are taller and almost always do well in pots or in the ground. I recently did both and they worked out well. But if you put them in a pot, it has to be a pot with a whole in the bottom for drainage or the leaves will turn brown and die if you over water them.

There is no NO maintenance, you have to water them, especially impatiens.

Lots of people in Kirkland use Petunias. They grow better in Kirkland than they do in Bellevue and they come in lots of colors. They give you the same color splash as impatiens, but take to sunnier areas better.

Marigolds are bright and almost impossible to kill :) But aren't as pretty as the other varieties I have mentioned. Use them in between other flowers in little bunches.

Take a walk around, especially on your street where the house faces in the same direction as a sun reference. See what does well in your neighbors' yards. don't look across the street though...keep walking up on the same side of the street, or you will be buying plants that do well if they face in the other direction.
Depending on whether the area is sunny or shaded and what type of soil you have there are many choices for bright, eye appealing annuals. I would take a picture of the area you want to plant and take that pic to a garden store and ask which annuals or small perennials would be best. You can find some in peat pots and you plant pot and all which is less of a shock to plants. Watering is critical and don't plant when it is hot out which is tough right now. Although Molbaks is more expensive their plants are cared for better and will survive better than cheaper plants. A good soaking of plant for a day or two before planting is critical. If it is a blooming annual and you "deadhead" or cut off spent blooms your plant will continue to bloom into the fall. Again if you are not a plant person I would go to a nursery and ask them for the best low-care plants that will give the most Zing to your beds.
Mary
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 15, 2008
Realistic artificial silk flowers work out very well.from a distance.
I love to see a home owner who loves to add the little touches when the house is for sale.
Mary-golds are low maintenance and in the Seattle climate will last from march until August! Slugs and snails don't bother them either! http://www.TheCascadeTeam.com
This time of year one of the only flowering annual bedding plants is primrose. I just put about 60 of them on a property I am getting ready for market. In the store they all look pretty, but sometimes only the yellow and white ones really "pop" and grab your attention this time of year on a gray day.

If you go to any garden store, or home depot even, they will only have those that are "in season" and primrose is one of the few flowering annuals that is hardy enough to plant before Mother's Day.
I just planted some primroses at the entrance of one of my listings. They give an instant splash of color and are very low maintenance.
Seasonal plants are your best bet. You are not looking for longevity, you want what looks best for your 90 day sales plan. Obviously, the palm tree advise doesn't work here in the Pacific NW. Not only do palm trees have a hard time thriving, they do look a little out of place. Best advise for color spots at this time of year is an assortment of cabbages. Their coloring ranges from white to purple with many shade in between. They are also quite affordable and last a long time. It is also always a good idea to plant fast growing evergreens in areas where you want to block out neighboring distractions (busy roads, apartment buildings, neighbor's junk.) I've posted a link to "Instant privacy trees"
Palm Trees and lots of small easy to care for plants
If you are selling now, you probably want annuals rather than perrenials. Impatiens are easy to grow and come in a variety of colors. They like a bit of shade in the late afternoon. Begonias will take the sun better than Impatiens. Red is a nice bright color; I'm voting for red Impatiens with pink begonias behind them and the annual type of lobelia in front of them (lobelia has little blue flowers and everyone loves them)
Most important: mix in some good nutrients to the beds before you plant. Your local nursery can tell you which is best for your needs. Then mulch on top after planting. Get a mulch that looks good with the color of your house. Water well the first couple of weeks.
Good luck! Send some pics!
I have a green thumb of death and I have found that Begonias are one of the few things I can keep alive without any effort.
Geraniums surrounded by lobelia and illesum (you figure out the spelling). Pack 'em together.
This is a very hard question to answer without seeing the space, the house and the rest of the front yard. I am not an expert but when planting to sell you should treat it like staging the house, only are staging for curb appeal.

For instance, if the entire yard is grass then you probably would want lots of colorful flowers. But size and height may me important to add some texture. If there are no shrubs in the yard a couple of large pots (either tall or wide or both) brimming with flowers may be better than a single row of immature (small) flowers.

I would start with Mary's suggestion below and take pictures of the entire front yard and consult with at least 2 or 3 nurseries.

Web Reference: http://www.homehounds.com
Hi Hailey,

Mums are a good choice as well as pansies or geraniums.

These flowers are readily available and inexpensive to buy.

Sean