M K, Both Buyer and Seller in Newton, MA

What are the best ROI improvements for resale value?

Asked by M K, Newton, MA Tue Oct 19, 2010

I am considering selling my end unit townhouse in Newton. There are 19 units in my community.
What do you think are the improvements I should consider (if any) before selling? Which ones would have best ROI?
Feel free to visit my property web page

Answers

11
Number 1, Kitchen updates/improvements, Number 2, bathroom updates and improvements. 3- wall colors and fresh paint, 4. mechanicals-make sure all your systems work and are maintained. 5. home staging.
I can go on and on.
Irena - would you say the color of the dining area is "too yellow" too?
The yellow seems too yellow on the picture, if you can neutralize that as well you are doing great.
Thanks Irena
I read your other post.
I assume you mean toning down the color in one of the bedrooms. We have already repainted our darker bedroom into more neutral color and I'll update the pictures within a day or two.
Too funny I just recommended toning down the colors, on your other question. The unit seems fine. Keep it uncluttered, remove most personal items and if possible store away seasonal items for “increased” space feeling. Make sure to remove anything that you do not want to leave like expansive light fixtures and make sure that you are not alone when someone wants to come by.
Remove your valuables and empty the medicine cabinet. I would recommend a basket (or a plastic bin) where you can put medicine and smaller items including you mail and stuff with personal info, before someone comes, and lock it away in your car. Secure your computer/laptop with passwords and possibly move your laptop to a safe place, or your car.
Have as much info as possible regarding your association, budgets, heating and or cooling expanses, electric bills etc. to be able to answer questions.
Have fun.
SInce you live in a townhouse, you may be limited to what you are allowed to do outside. I would start inside and look at your flooring, and baths. If you have worn carpet, replace with hardwood . Prefinished wood (not a pergo) can be done the quickest with the least mess. I have a great guy who has done our family investment condo in Brookline and others. Call me for his name. If you already have hardwood, does it need a refinishing?

Your bathrooms are the next item. Old tiny tile or pinks and other dated colors are a turn off. Update the fixtures,lighting and tile. Everyone uses their bathroom daily but not everyone is a gourmet cook. and in the city, they may eat out a lot. So I would choose to do the baths before the kitchen which is a much costlier item and more personal. I see many properties with really tired baths.
Good luck and I have some great Realtor friennds in Newton if you'd like a referral.
Cherie Murra, Acton Real Estate CO.,LLC cherie@acton-realestate.com
Homeowners are choosing to remodel rather than sell
Home values have been reduced by almost 50% in the past few years due to unemployment, foreclosures, and short sales in the Southwest Florida area. With this reduction in property values, many homeowners are deciding to remodel rather than move.

Whether you are planning to stay in that home or move, the 20 best ways to add value to your home according to HGTV are:
• Update or add a home office with an inviting workspace and built-ins
• Add square footage such as a lanai or sunroom
• Update a master suite with cozy open space with a really nice closet
• Add a new family room with an open floor plan for the entire family to gather
• Keep the roof in good working condition or replace it
• Update your landscaping
• Remodel the kitchen
• Add or remodel a bathroom
• When putting on an addition, make sure it blends with the rest of the house
• Install new windows and/or doors
• Remodel a basement
• Add a deck, patio or other outdoor living space
• Paint the interior in classic and neutral colors
• Remodel your attic or above the garage space
• Add a second story to your home
• Include a specialty room
• Replace the siding or repaint the exterior

According to Dave Beck The Handyman, a local residential contractor in Charlotte County, Florida, kitchens and baths are what most people are choosing to remodel in this area.

A kitchen remodel can be anything from new cabinets or cabinet fronts, to changing faucets and fixtures, replacing countertops and opting for energy efficient appliances.
Bath remodels include complete tear downs to replacing cabinets, toilets, countertops, light fixtures, and tiled baths and showers. Many retirees are opting for walk-in showers rather than bath tubs.

Just be sure to hire a licensed residential contractor for any major projects you choose to encounter, unless you are handy enough yourself. To search for a licensed contractor go to http://www.myfloridalicense.com.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor, Sandals Realty, Punta Gorda, FL - tammyhayesre@gmail.com
Gerard, Stacy - thanks for your answers.

Stacy, yes there are other 2 units for sale in the same complex.
MULCH!

Mulch is a Realtor and Homesellers best friend!

Clean up the outside - Edge the beds - weed and mulch to make it look pretty.

Some seasonal flowers like Mums would look great.

Cheap and easy way to make the home look its best!

If you like the answer - please consider making it a "Best Answer" !

Gerard Dunn
Associate Broker
Licensed in Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Assisting Homebuyer's and Seller's for 28 years
703-216-9100
Maksim,

Spruce up the exterior first to make buyers want to come in. In the interior, your efforts are well spent on painting walls and trim. Warm, neutral tones, not off white.

Are there any other units for sale? If there's no discernible differences between the units, then focus on the lighting and other fixtures to make yours stand out.

All of this assumes you have equity in the home and there's an upside for you financially. If not, focus on cleaning and decluttering which is a no cost effort which will improve it's appearance.

Stacy Carter
Associate Broker
Better Homes & Gardens Real Estate Metro Brokers
678-641-6631
The link to my property is listed below.