Home Selling in Atlanta>Question Details

Vparker, Both Buyer and Seller in New Jersey

What are the best Investment Areas in Atlanta?

Asked by Vparker, New Jersey Mon Oct 1, 2007

I'm interested in purchasing investment properties with the intent of short term flips. What are the best areas / zip codes in Atlanta for such investments?

Answers

8
All the subburbs of Atlanta with the exception of Clayton county, due to school creditation issue's.
Henry County (30253, 30281)is moving fast, the foreclosures have slowed down and the rental properties are getting less in numbers as well. Since it is borderlined with Clayton County and many families might have to move to other school districts. so it has the potential on doing well in the market, the prices on the south side of Atlanta are less high then the North side of Atlanta. Fayetteville and Peachree City always do well , but it is harder to catch a great deal, but very worth it. Hope that helps.
Let me know if I need to elaborate more. Paulinemoore@charter.net
The most sought after school district is in Alpharetta 30004 Milton HS This is a great investment area I have a 3 bed/2 bath ranch for sale on 1+ acres with 2 outbuildings in this area. All newly renovated with refinished oak floors throughout and refinished pine floors in kitchen and dining. You won't find a buy like this -just put it on the market fsbo due to a relationship breakup Would make a great home, rental, or investment-instant equity email cmcclimon@comcast.net or call 404-729-9307
VParker in New Jersey...

How you doin' on those flips?

You certainly have the advantage if you are a well financed purchaser with a stable team here in Georgia.

What are your flipping criteria?

Geographically, what is working?

Product - what type of a property is a good flip property to flip right now, to you?

You asked this question 6 months ago, so, I ain't doin' no April foolin' here, I'm just asking because I am curious about your experience in Atlanta over the past 6 months.

You've heard everyone say, and I mean everyone, say that it's a "great time to buy," right? Well, we all started saying that months ago! You are probably tired of hearing it!

Few bought. Were you among the few?

Did you flip any properties?

If so, was it a great time to buy?

Did you sell any of the properties in the past 6 months?

If so, did you make a profit on the sale?

Let us know!
The key here is to buy a property only when your exit strategy is clearly defined. For example: If you want to flip, then you should have a buyer in place before you buy the property. If you want to rent or lease purchase, then you need to have a renter or lease-purchaser in place before you buy the property. You obviously want to buy as low as possible. We work with a lot of investors and we have a free list of discounted properties on our website. Many suburbs and intown neighborhoods are good for investment. You just have to know what your strategy. It's a soft market for flippers, but I know some wholesalers who are doing extremely well, because they buy low, with the end buyer in place. You need an agent who has a large email list of buyers to be able to do this. We offer this service.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2007
Both of the previous answers are very correct when they say you should buy and hold. I work with a lot of investors and own several investment properties. I am always looking for a good flip, isn't everybody? In my four years as a full time Realtor and Investor I have probably come across 5 good flips give or take, and I couldn't get my hands on any of them quick enough. There are thousands of investors in Atlanta looking tirelessly for a good flip. I do not want to discourage you in your search, you may have better luck than me. Beware of people who call themselves "wholesalers". If you would like to check out a great website where you can search for foreclosed properties check out http://www.alexwilkinsononline.com
Jeannette is VERY correct in saying that buy and hold (renting) is a stronger investment strategy here - regardless of location - There are some great values too in multifamily dwellings. However, do note that being an owner of rental properties does have a number of different tax and legal consequences than flipping!!
Hello Vparker:
While Atlanta and the surrounding Metro Area are chock full of great investment opportunities - I would be remiss if I did not point out that they are not "short term flip" sales.

Due to the glut in available home sales - and the inventory that seems to be growing daily - a short term flip is almost unheard of. The rate of return cannot be scientifically guaranteed at this time - and most investors are digging in for a long term commitment.

This is not to say they aren't out there, but it would require a great deal of research - and a "hit/miss" attitude.

I will tell you that the time to purchase rental properties is now. Reasonable, affordable rentals go like hot-cakes. I would concentrate my time and effort in this arena for the now.
VParker -
That would depend upon your definition of "best." If you are looking at flipping, I'm assuming you are looking at single family homes? Atlanta is currently experiencing strong growth both into the city AND into the suburbs, both North and South!! Being a strong buyers martket here, there is certainly potential to find some excellent properties in all parts of the city. So it would also help to know your time frame for turning the properties around and selling. I would advise you to consult a professional directly if you are seeking specific answers directly. Having some more background on your goals would certainly help!!
There is still a lot of development in town and that could be a good way to go - I would fear giving you specific zip codes without knowing more details. Areas west of downtown seem to be having some good sales for young buyers. Thanks!