L, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

What are some tips for selling a home in the $1.2-1.5MM range in the N. Buckhead/Sandy Springs area of

Asked by L, Atlanta, GA Sun Apr 5, 2009

Atlanta? What area features, etc. would you emphasize?

Answers

13
Leanne,

It'd the same thing we discussed before; marketing, condition and price. Marketing is designed to drive traffic to your door. Once the potential buyer is there, marketing's job is over. It's now up to condition and price. Buyers most likely will have seen many homes and they are going to make a judgement call about the condition of the home (everything from the curb appeal to layout, architectural style, amenities, etc.) and balance that against your asking price. If they perceive that you represent a good value relative to everything else they've see I the marketplace, you have a good chance of securing a workable contract.

I recommend that every seller get a pre-listing appraisal and inspection. If you are agressively trying to sell your home ( and I know you are ) then price it about 10% below the appraisal. Have any items identified on the inspection report taken care of prior to listing. Get professional photography ( not some agent with their point and shoot camera or these services that charge $89 for 15 pictures ), professional video and staging. I also suggest offering to pay the buyers closing costs. I do not recommend, however, paying the buyers agent anything other than a standard 3% commission. Research has prove that larger commissions do not result in faster sales.

You know my number. If you are still looking we can talk. Hope all is well with you and the kids!
Web Reference: Http://conradlyles.com
L, in that area, you're talking about the lower end of the market (usually), so I would tend to emphasize value and show how your home stands up to others in the area. I'm assuming your home is not a tear down, as much of the area you describe has land that would be in that range, with homes on it that are no longer suited to the neighborhood... so they wind up getting bulldozed and replaced with much bigger, "nicer" and/or contemporary/updated structures. If your home fits this description, then there is -- believe it or not -- a way to market this home as being eligible for FHA financing, which opens a whole new field of buyers for you. It's difficult to know how to advise you without knowing more about your home and what you need to accomplish in the sale. Get in touch with me and I will see what I can do to help you get where you want to go: (404) 843-2500 or bryan.furse@metrobrokers.com
L -
Apologies for the late jump into the conversation. I'll have to second Lee Taylor's recommendation of Jennifer Barnes at Keller Williams - you can reach her at jenniferbarnes@kw.com or 404 271 1347 - tell her the Lees sent you. She is very diligent and excellent to work with in that area and price range.

I can also recommend Rusty Robinson with RE/MAX Greater Atlanta specifically in luxury homes - russ@russlrobinson.com or 770 238 0609

Interview as many agents as you like and ask tough questions!
Best of luck to you!

Lee Adkins
Web Reference: http://www.leeadkins.net
Hire me! Or find someone better. Serious, you owe it to yourself to find the best. Find out who's selling homes right now and it doesn't necessarily have to be someone specializing in million dollar homes. They may be stuck in a rut of doing what use to work. Find someone who can sell in this market. I sold 37 last year in all price ranges. I'm off to a good start this year as well. Good luck. If I can interview for the job, please give me a call. We do have a luxury home division at Crye-Leike and I'd love to be your agent.

David Brower, Assistant Manager/Realtor
Crye-Leike Realtors
678-982-9600
david@davidwbrower.com
Web Reference: http://davidwbrower.com

David Brower, Assistant Manager/Realtor
Crye-Leike Realtors
678-982-9600
david@davidwbrower.com
Web Reference: http://davidwbrower.com
L,

Many of the answers are dead on, (except the "check the agent's company" - companies don't sell houses) and would work for any price range.

If your price is common for the area that will work just fine. If your home is an elegant and unique home, then you'll want a more unique approach!

Good Luck
Joshua Jarvis, Real Estate Pro in Duluth, GA
The most important factor is your agent and the agent's company. What is the track record of the company for selling properties in that pricxe range in the last 12 months. Second, look at the days on market for the price range? How long are you willling to take in having your home sold? You and your agent need to agrree on an appropriate time frame. Make sure your agent has a good raport with other agents who sell in that price range. This eases the stress in closing the sale. Be sure your agent has an appropriate marketing budget for your property. Realtor.com is important, but so is the brochure the agent leaves for all purchasers viewing the home, virtual tours available to the public, and recent comparables which will re-enforce the rectitude of your price.
Web Reference: http://www.muzzyhome.com
have your agent find out the stats on the people that have purchased homes in your price range and area over the last year. Where did they come from? Market that area. What type of work did they do or what company do they work for? Market that business. Otherwise, a lot of good advice below.
First of all, Lisa is the best online marketer in Intown Atlanta and her advice is very sound.

Michael's advice is on point as well.

Blending the traditional and the current is the essence of a savvy marketing plan in 2009 - gone are the days of "stick a broker's sign in the yard, host an agent caravan and they shall come."

Hire a successful agent- maybe identify a Trulia Pro - and set a minimum goal of 8-10 showings in the first 30 days.

Know that you need to be the lowest price with the prettiest presentation-if you sell quickly, then you will be in the remarkable 10% of Seller's who "get it" right now...and it's even tougher when you are priced at $1.2+.

The features of the moment are in the eyes of the beholder-get the 8-10 showings, and you know that you are doing something right.

L - I recommend 3 agents for your consideration - Zana Dillard at KW, Jennifer Barnes at KW and Julie Brittain at KW.

Let 'em fight it out and earn your business!
Web Reference: http://intowninsider.com
In this market price is the answer! Properties ARE moving in this area regardless of what you hear on television and read in the newspaper. N. Buckhead/Sandy Springs is an EXCELLENT area so the home is likely in a fantastic school district. Trying to outsmart the economy and/or loading your marketing with features is a tactic that works over time, but I'm assuming you're motivated to sell NOW rather than later...so focus more on how your home compares to the other N. Buckhead/Sandy Springs inventory.

The home must also show as good, if not better than everything else (once you've agreed to price it better than everything else). From the time a buyer prospect pulls into the driveway they need to be blown away. Remove your emotions from it and accept the strictest criticism about your property because that's what will help get it sold. If you are married to the red walls in the dining room, or your powder room wallpaper or your cluttered living room perhaps you should stay married to the home. If you're willing to "let go" and make the changes (sometimes very minor) necessary to make your home shine IT WILL SELL!

In closing....Price it right....and make sure it shows like a model (not like a model YOU would decorate to yur specific taste....but a model most individuals would be impressed by). Elaborating on schools, neighborhood amenities, proximity to shopping, restaurants, entertainment, etc. are all "features" that will get your home sold "eventually" but if you are ready to sell focus on the other pointers.

...With approximately 30 months of inventory in your area in the month of February (considering homes priced between $1million and $1.5millions), an average of 284 Days ON Market and an average of 3.6 properties (out of 79 available in average every month) sold per month in the past 15 month, my strongest recommendation to you is to interview and select an EXPERIENCED FINE HOME SPECIALIST Realtor in your area who will exploit every and all available tools at his/her disposition to properly market your home in today’s challenging marketing. I’ll be glad to provide you with copies of my statistical report…
Web Reference: http://www.SellingATL.com
Marketing your listing is exceptionally important. If you go with an agent, make sure you review their marketing plan and have a firm commitment on the timing of when elements of the plan will be implemented. They should have professional photographs and a virtual tour ready to go the day the listing is input into the listing services (FMLS and GaMLS). Also check to make sure your agent has showcase listings on Realtor.com (the #1 public real estate portal). Check your agent's marketing for their existing listings to see what level of product they put out for their clients.
Assuming you are priced comparably in your neighborhood, L, my advice would be to go with traditional and proven techniques, whether listing through a realtor or on your own. The home should be in tip top shape, well cleaned and move in ready. Make sure it is properly decorated, but no overly so. A home stager may be consulted in determining this. It HAS to be listed with both multiple listing services, FMLS & GAMLS to ensure all agents with potential buyers have easy access to the data. Several secure open houses should be undertaken as well as plenty of online advertising with multiple, top notch photographs. Be flexible in this market, regardless of sales price. Good Luck!