Trulia Chica…, Other/Just Looking in Chicago, IL

What are some things to consider when trying to decide which reality company is right for you? National or Independent?

Asked by Trulia Chicago, Chicago, IL Mon Nov 19, 2012

What are some pro's for the independent realty company, discount brokers etc?

Answers

3
I work for a company that is an independent company but has over 1500 brokers over 20+ offices. I joined them because I felt they offer the best of both worlds.
I have worked for national and now am the owner of a independent office. The public needs to know agents are independent contractors regardless of who they work for and so my recommendation is to find an agent who you like and will provide you with the best service
This is a great question and one that can be debated heavily. Here are some points to consider:

- A National realty franchise makes a lot of clients feel confident that they are dealing with a reputable company, mainly because they recognize the name from ads, TV, radio, yard signs and every other type of marketing. That is probably the main reason choose a franchise.

What a client should really be looking for is LOCAL market knowledge. A great franchise cannot guarantee this simply because they are a national company but they very well may be savvy in the local market. Independent realty companies typically focus in a smaller area, county, city, etc. In addition, independent companies do not need to contact "corporate" or any managing entity, since every decision is made in house.

A client should interview the realty companies they are considering to use and ask questions, lots of questions. What does this company do different that will sell my home faster or at a good price point? Are they up to date, or are they still faxing and printing endless amounts of paper? Do they have a good listing presentation? Are they available evenings and weekends? How long have they been in the business? Do they have referrals or recommendations?

The list could go on and on, but you get the picture. The more you ask, the more you will know which company will offer you the best chances of buying or selling a home.