Home Selling in Bucktown>Question Details

Trulia Chica…, Other/Just Looking in Chicago, IL

What are some important questions to ask a potential realtor when trying to learn about their history?

Asked by Trulia Chicago, Chicago, IL Mon Nov 19, 2012

Answers

12
I guess it is helpful to know how long they have been in the business and is it full time or part time. I have never been keen on testimonials since they are easily self serving and you rarely hear the bad ones. The agent should know the neighborhood, but agents can easily BS that. They should have a web site which can help you a bit. Check with family/friends and co workers for references also.
I would suggest that you focus more on testimonials from their clients than history. There are a lot of agents who have been around for a long time and have a lot of experience, but they have a "business as usual" approach. You want someone who thinks outside the box and really is committed to doing an outstanding job for their clients.
Call us!
The most important thing that agent is commit it to you. Alway available to answer on all your questions. You should feel like you are his only client. Is not so much experience of successful transaction if your agent do the homework and provide you with all important information and is able to fight for your rights you are in good hands. Trust your first instinct.
Simple, how long they have been in the business doesn't matter so much as there are quick learners.

1. How well they know the area you want to live in.
2. Did they take the time to sit with you and find out your goals and what's important to you.
3. Do they have somewhat of an idea of what to look for that may be an issue in the properties you are viewing
4. Are they providing you with market statistics for the area.
5. Do you like them... are you able to connect with this agent!

Sohail A. Salahuddin | Broker Associate I Visionary
Innovative Property Consultants Team l Sales and Leasing
Jameson Sotheby’s International Realty
425 W. North Ave. | Chicago, IL 60610
O: 312.929.1565 | C: 312.437.7799 | F: 847.805.6030
"Local Experts, Global Reach"
Do they focus on a specific area?
Testimonials from past clients.
Do they do this full time?
email me at jmichaels@remax.net and I will send you a list
I think some of the questions a potential client should ask are the following;

1. What areas to they usually service?
2. Of the Listings they take on, what percent of them sell?
3. What marketing techniques do they use to get a home sold?
4. What makes them different from all the rest?
5. How much of their business is based on referrals?
I won't repeat some of the great questions already listed but have a few of my own. Ask them what commission they charge for listings and how much of their commission they share with their buyers. Ask them what hours they are available to their clients. Find out what they did before they got into real estate. And most importantly...what are they going to DO for you.
Web Reference: http://LucidRealty.com
Depends on who is asking and for what reason. If I were a seller I would ask how many homes they listed vs how many they sold in the last 12 months. If the answer to that question left them in the running I would then ask for sale price/list price and compare that to the market average.

Another good one might be the average DOM for all of their listings sold in the last 12 months and compare that to the market average.

If it is a buyer asking, ask the Realtor if they refer all of their buyers to Jim Simms for financing, if not, move on…. no reason to make the process harder than it needs to be.

Jim Simms
NMLS # 6395
JSimms@cmcloans.com
Financing Kentucky One Home at a Time
Web Reference: http://jamessimms.com/
You want someone who understands the questions you will have AND understands the answers too. Someone who can help you to figure out what you find most important and then knows the area and properties well enough to guide you. No one agent will know it all! I am very familiar with some areas and less so with others but I'm willing to get in there and get the answers and then ask more so that you are fully informed.

You will want someone who is listening to what you say you need and want and then pulling more from you as you look at more places.

References are good but as another has said you won't often see the bad ones. But... look at the references and note just what about that agent the reference refers to. If it is all about numbers and you are a feelings person then that may be a clue.

Of course feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. If you are not looking in an area I know then I'll be glad to make a referral to someone who knows the area you are searching in.
How well they know the area
there sales experience
how many transactions/volume did they do
how long have they been in real estate
if they do this full time, etc
There are many. Some of the key questions are how long have they been in the business and if they are full time. You also want to ask for testimonials and references. It's always best to find someone that others boast about.