Home Selling in Louisville>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What are some effective ways to increase the value of your home before selling?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Fri Mar 2, 2012

Answers

11
Pretend you are the buyer. Make an appointment with the Realtor you have chosen to market the home, met at their office and have them “sell” your home to you, tell them what you are doing with this exercise. Pretend you are relocating from another city and look at everything from the eyes of a buyer. The Realtor should show you the area, neighborhood and finally your home. Make lots of notes, take pictures, act just like a buyer. Grade your home. Make notes of things that need attention that may influence a buyer.

After doing this exercise, address any concerns that came to light during the process and prepare the home for showings. After researching the market like a buyer, what would you pay for your home?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 5, 2012
I agree with the others on minor suggestions ti improve your home. if you were looking to do any major or fairly expensive improvements I would get an estimate on the improved value . Then you could weigh cost vs value and determine if it would be worth route.
I would also be careful with colors and materials to make sure future buyer may see it the same way you do. You can also watch hgtv's sell this house and pick up some good tips.
good luck
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 2, 2012
That is a broad question. I would agree with some other answers also, but would ask a few more questions. First, how much of a selling budget do you have to get your home ready. Sometimes spending just a few hundred to a couple thousand will pay off in spades. Update your light fixtures in main areas and bathrooms, update faucets, countertops, and even flooring if it really needs it. Fresh paint is a must in many cases. Landscaping out front and back are big helps in setting that first impression. Fresh mulch, trimmed bushes and some fresh color, like perennials, will help. If you need or have additional questions, please contact me through my website at http://www.AllLouisvilleHomesForSale.com

Larry Gatti
The Gatti Group
Keller Williams Realty Louisville East
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 2, 2012
Can't say enough about curb appeal! Tidy up the front and any landscaping. Touch ups with paint and de-cluttering are great ways to prepare your home to be put on the market.
Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can be of any assistance.
Rhonda Roberts, Realtor
Semonin Realtors
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 2, 2012
BEST thing to do to prepare to increase the value of your home? Un-clutter!! Clutter makes your home look smaller than it is, busy, perhaps messy or worse. My two cents worth anyway.

If you need help evaluating other areas needing improvement, feel free to call. I would be happy to help!

Michael
In my opinion (and have done this on my own homes to increase value & sale-ability):
1. Replace formica tops with granite, marble, or other high end materials.
2. Replace dated light fixtures & bath fixtures with mid to high end, in-style finishes.
3. Replace white or black appliances with stainless steel.
4. Finish any uncompleted home projects.
5. Consider installing crown molding in at least key areas of the home (master bedroom, dining room)
6. Fresh coats of neutral paint.
7. Consider finishing the basement.
8. Hire a home inspector to check your home for defects & fixes (this could save you time & money on the back end) & fix anything cited.
9. Paint the front door & replace the hardware (if worn or dated).
10. Make sure the curb appeal is excellent!

Dorothy Fowler, Team Manager & Agent Dorothy@milessmithgroup.com
I recommend you you use trulia.com to pull you some recent sales in your area.
I re-read the question a few times before giving this answer... You have to first establish what the current value is and then look at the REASON it is that value. If you already have the nicest house in the neighborhood, I don't know that there is anything to do to gain more VALUE. Naturally, you would do the "fresh paint, landscape and curb appeal" things, but if you are asking "should I add a 1/2 bath to my 3 bedroom, 1 bath home to give it more VALUE" I would say this is strictly by the numbers.

Step 1 is to find the Agent you trust to give you the solid answers and knows the market. Step 2 is for them to run comps and determine the current value. Step 3 is to evaluate the comps and see what you must add or update to reach the upper tier of your home's worth.

Anything else and you may be throwing good money after bad.

Mark Atteberry
Louisville Market Realtors
http://www.LouisvilleMarket.com
502-224-1039
It is important that the home you are considering selling is clean, uncluttered and free of damage. Fresh paint, new neutral Light Switch/Outlet Covers and removing any stains in the carpet can go a long way as well. Do like an Investor would, put as little as possible into your home preparation while making the property look as new as possible on that budget.
There were 2 things that came to mind when I read this question. 1 Make sure the home is free of clutter. 2. Consider having your home staged .
The most important item I would suggest you can do is have a professional stager or realtor come by your home and give their thoughts. Staging a house is important for photos as well as buyers who walk in. You want each room to be in their best light and appear spacious. Please let us know if we can help you further. Thanks!
Laura N. Oatley
The Oatley Team
Keller Williams Realty Louisville East