Home Selling in Phoenix>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What are some effective ways to increase the value of your home before selling?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Fri Mar 2, 2012

Answers

9
Excellent question. I've attached a link below to a fairly recent blog I posted here on Trulia answering this question in detail.

Hope you find it helpful and good luck selling your home this year.
Repaint and redecorate. Replace broken furniture if you want. It's just a matter of getting an impression that your house is well-maintained.
Spring cleaning (regardless of the time of year), scrub, clean, paint and make everything work as it should and sparkle. De-clutter of all personal items. Make home as generic as possible. Let the buyers see themselves in your home, not you.
Advertise the home as 203k Eligible. This way, informed buyers and their agents will know that the seller will work with a 203k offer. The FHA 203k Loan allows the property to be sold AS-IS by permitting the buyer to include any renovations into their mortgage. This way, the seller doesn't have to choose neutral colors and the like hoping a buyer will like it. Also, the 203k eliminates the seller's expense of getting the property "ready to sell."

203k! Check it out!

More information at http://203kContractors.com
Web Reference: http://203kContractors.com
I prefer to see a home before offering advice that can either save or cost you money. Often just staging a home can make all the difference. It's free with most good agents too.
Yes all the answers have been true though beware of being all brown. Neutral is good but when it comes to granite and colors- go with what the masses will like but not drab and boring aka tropic brown base level granite. No one hates it....but no one likes it either.

Also be sure to make sure all your maintenance is up to date. Once a home inspection is performed and they find minor things that could have been addressed quickly and more economically, the seller now has the ability to place demands for repairs or cancel out.

When a home shows that it has been maintained and doesn't look worn and tired the buyer sees a house that has been cared for by the owner.
What Darin said.
Also, neutral colors like light brown/ beige, brown granite, updated cabinets, new baseboards, and crown molding as well. Carpet in bedrooms, open areas tiled.
In addition to what Darin said I would also clean up landscaping.
I have found out the best way to increase the value of your home is to do any updating in the kitchen and bathrooms. These are what both my investors do to a house when they sell and what my buyers look for in a home when they purchase. You can update a kitchen for not very much money, like upgrading the faucets and repainting the cabinets. Also, repainting the interior and new carpet will be a great return on our money.