Home Selling in Richmond>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What are some effective ways to increase the value of your home before selling?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Fri Mar 2, 2012

Answers

3
I realize this question is a little "stale" but here are a few things I think are very important:
1. Curb appeal. I can't tell you how many times I have driven to a home with a buyer and they decide not to even bother with going inside b/c the outside is so uninviting or simply neglected. First goal, get them in the door. Clean up the yard, plant some flowers, fix or replace any damaged lighting, etc.
2. Paint. A nice, neutral paint color can go a long way in making your home feel fresh. I like colors sich as Stone House or Shaker Beige by Ben Moore.
3. Updating fixtures - changing out dated lighting can make a huge difference in the look and feel of your home without hitting your wallet too much. Brass is out!
4. Concentrate on the kitchen and bath. It is true, they sell homes. If you have dated cabinets, you may be able to put new handles or pulls on them to update them a bit. If you don't have the money to invest in larger updates like new appliances or countertops, then make sure all things that were on the honey-do list are now on the honey-done list. And CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. Same goes for the bathroom. Outdated faucets can be replaced, a fresh coat of paint can make a difference, and it is amazing what a re-grout of a shower will do!

I hope by now you have sold your home, but if not, good luck!
The most bang for your buck without spending too much, is going to be paint. A fresh coat goes a long way, go for neutral colors. If you have ugly carpet try to find a paint that works well with it or placing a large area rug over it, reduce the amount of furniture. Remove personal photos, and religious art, remember you are trying to sell buyers your house not your family and beleifs. Fresh flowers, fruits in the kitchen and lots of light also help dress up any area. Look at the focal points, are you featuring them properly?
There are many easy answers I could give you;
*Kitchen
*Baths
*Fresh Paint
The truth is that each home & each market (location/sublocation) are different. The best advice I can give you is to call one of your local REALTORS. It is best to have them come do a walk thru of your home as it is today. Give you advice on what it is currently worth and then give you a list of items to either improve or upgrade that would increase your properties value for the buyers in your market.
There are always trends as to what is the hot item that buyers are looking for in a home right now!
Don't spend any money until you have a FULL TIME, PROFESSIONAL REALTOR advice you first.
Many times we go to our listing appointments to find that our sellers have spent money on areas that will not increase value or desireablity and will not be able to make that money back.
Best of luck to you! If you happen to be in the Richmond, VA housing market - feel free to contact me. Heather O'Sullivan Long & Foster Strawberry Street 804 514 3197