Home Selling in Charlotte>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What are some effective ways to increase the value of your home before selling?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Fri Mar 2, 2012

Answers

7
Most important is to have the home clean and all the junk removed. You want to easily walk thru the home and have an open feel. This will cost you nothing. Curb appeal is key also. Many buyers will drive around the area of the home and want to check out the neighborhood, If the outside looks not maintained they assume the inside is the same way. You will not even get them to the door. If you plan on putting in major upgrades I would recommend you speak to a local realtor first. They can assist you and let you know those upgrades they fell are necessary to sell versus those that you will not get a return on. if you would like further information you can visit my web site at http://www.carolina-real-estate.com. Click on Sellers and see all the great information out there. Or call me directly at 704-607-7514
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 2, 2012
Neutralize as much as possible while still leaving character. De clutter everything........depersonalize the home of family photos.....my rule of thumb is one picture per room. Enlarge a half bath to full if only one full bath. Remodel kitchen and or baths adds the largest value. I use to remodel kitchens and baths for 15 yrs. and it brought a much added value to the homes. I stage and sell homes so if you would like a consult for $75 for staging with your current things, call me. 7042811865. Sondra blaser
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 2, 2012
Hello, here are 3 I like, there is so much more than can be done...
1) Curb Appeal: Buyers decide on a home before they even enter the front door. Be sure the landscaping, lawn, and flowering beds are free of weeds and clutter. Walk around the entire house and remove toys, fix lighting, and sprinkler heads. At the entrance of the house think about repainting the door and adding potted flowers.
2) De clutter: Space is one of the top selling points for a home. Before you think about spending one penny on home improvements try to sort, donate, and de clutter all the rooms in the home.
3) Lights and Sound: Replace dated or damaged light fixtures. It can be one of the most inexpensive upgrades with the return. Check doors or cabinets for squeaky hinges and oil them.

Jeff Monfils REALTOR | Broker
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 2, 2012
There are a lot fo small things a seller can do to help enhance their home's value prior to listing it on the market.

One is to refinish the cabinents. A fresh coat fo paint or a stain can do wonders to some cabinets that look old and dungy. A nice white ro a stain (depending on the kitchen) can brighten the whole room up and make the kitchen look like it had a remodel done to it.

I tell every one of my clients "if you do not need the funrinture put it in the garage ro a storage unit". de cluttering a house will help the home showcase the space that it has.

Put in new shower curtains that are bright and cheery...I recommend goign with a yellow or a pale blue. it will help brighten up and show the bathroom in a better light.

Repair anything that you know is broken...if you knwo it is broken and can see it repair it.

Have your carpets professionally clenaed prior to getting pictures done on the house. This will enhance the clenliness fo the house and show the house in a great light through photos.

make sure all your walls are freshly apinted with a neutral color. Beige seems to be the new color of choice and gives the home a feeling of feeling in a higher class.

On the outside, make sure your grass is cut. I am amazed at how many homes I have gone to where the yard looks like a jungle.

Throw some mulch down around the front shrubs to help with the curb appeal. if you are in the right season plant some colorful flowers.

If you have wood shutters put a fresh coat of paint on them and any trim. Also depending on the door you may want to consider painting it as well.

These are cost effective ways to increase the value of a home and can be done on a weekend.

for a more extensive approach the number one thing buyers I have are looking for is grantie in the kitchen. if you can afford it replace the countertops with granite.... Also hardwood floors are now a big selling feature. but you can go with the laminate since the quality fo them is improved over the years and it is gettign more difficult to distinguish between them at first glance.
Web Reference: http://www.davedicecco.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 2, 2012
The three aspects of a home that most influence a home buyer are the kitchen, the bathrooms, and the master suite. If you feel that any are out dated it may be worthwhile to invest some money into your kitchen or bathrooms as these will have the greatest ROI. As for the master suite make it neutral and inviting. Many people move because they have outgrown their home, which means they have too much "stuff". This excess stuff can make your home feel uninviting and make potential buyers feel that they too will not fit in the home. Even getting a storage unit and putting extra furniture, pictures, or clothing can be a good idea.
Staging a home to sell is one of the best ways to increase its value without a lot of out of pocket expense involved. As you get ready to do so keep in mind that clutter eats equity so de-clutter your home and make it "showroom" ready.
Curb appeal - your first impression of a home is as you drive up. Make the home inviting. Freshly mowed lawn, clean porch says a lot.

De Clutter & De personalize - You want buyers to see your house not your "stuff"

Make sure the home is well lit, maybe have some soft music playing, makes it feel welcoming. And always make sure the only smell from the home is good.