Jacki1031, Home Buyer in Audubon, NJ

What are some definites do's to make your "lived in " "Kid friendly" house appealing to prospective buyers when they come?

Asked by Jacki1031, Audubon, NJ Thu Jul 12, 2012

for a showing?

Answers

7
Make sure your home is "picked up" and have every area accessible and as clutter-free as possible. Make sure it is neutral smelling and don't leave anything sloppy - such as dirty dishes in the sink or messy/dirty sinks or toilets.

Here are my other tips for a successful showing...

If you have children yourself - declutter their things and tidy as much away as possible. A lot of families have very definite kid colors on the walls in the kids' bedrooms, I propose repainting any bright pink, purple etc. rooms with a pretty more neutral color. Surprisingly repainting is an easy quick improvement to a home, but so many buyers these days want a move-in ready home with pleasing colors they feel their furniture would work well with.
Stage your home's rooms showing buyers that certain rooms can work well for the adults and other rooms are perfect for little kids play area or teenagers wanting to hang out with their friends. Remember your home may be kid friendly but not all buyers have children so definitely don't overwhelm those buyers with kids things everywhere. Also when it comes to family photos, a few well positioned photos on a piece of furniture etc. is pleasing to the eye but don't have whole walls covered in the family photos as a buyer will be more interested in your photos than looking at your house and you want to have them imagine themselves and their family in your home not you.
Keep it clean and smelling nice--no dirty diaper smell.
Keep it safe--put toys away. You don't want a lawsuit because someone trips on a toy.
The best way to accomplish this is to ask your agent to request 24 hour notice before a showing. It's a perfectly normal request for someone with young children.
Good luck with your sale!
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com
Don't worry about safety features; i.e., gates, outlet protectors, etc. Keep the toys confined to one spot at try to keep it neat and organized. People understand you have little kids but neatness is key. Please do not hesitate to contact me so I that I come over and get a better look and give you specific ideas to make your home ready.
Carla DiPlacido
http://www.carladiplacido@kwrealty.com
Hello Jacki1031,
Thanks for your question.
The most important is to keep the floors out of toys so the buyers can walk easily without the chance of tripping on a little ball or little truck.
Then keeping things organized. Toys should be in a kids bedroom trunk or similar. Could also be in a playroom. They are expected there but not everywhere around the home.
Now the word that goes along way is clean, clean, clean.
People want to see that you care for your home enough to maintain it organized and clean.
Let me know if you have any other question.
Good luck on the sale of your home!
Ines De La Cruz, Realtor
RE/MAX Connection
inesdelacruz@remax.net
http://www.inesdelacruz.com
Hi Jackie,
I have three sections on my website that discuss this very topic. http://kelliciancaglini.weichertagentpages.com/pages/selling…
Best of luck in selling your home and please do not hesitate to contact me should you need any information or assistance. Thanks! Kelli
Hi Jacki,

I know it's easier said than done but you have to keep the toys picked up and declutter as much as possible. The use of colorful storage containers and baskets can be helpful. Remember the old saying, if you can't see it, you can't sell it. Meaning, prospective buyers need to be able to see the floors, walls, cabinets, counters, etc. and envision what their things would look like there.

You may also want to think of implementing some sort of program for the kids so that they are involved in keeping the home neat and then have a prize or reward for each of them when your home does sell. That way they feel a part of the process.

Best of luck!

Barbara Grandolfo