wendy, Both Buyer and Seller in Simi Valley, CA

What are creative marketing tools to sell a home:?

Asked by wendy, Simi Valley, CA Wed Oct 8, 2008

Besides listing a house in the MLS, trulia.com, realor.com, websites, local papers etc. what other marketing tools do realtors use when selling a home, especially in today's poor market?

Answers

27
Here are a few I offer my clients:

Adequate lighting to offer a bright and light viewing.
Eliminate odors using plug in air fresheners or place a drop of vanilla extract on a light bulb that is used.
No clutter on the counters - think "model home".
Remove your refrigerator magnets and paperwork.
Plants need to look healthy and watered.
Turn off the TV and sounds that could create disturbances.
Allow accessibility to the home for appts. and try to be out of the home during showings.
Clean the carpeting.
Never apologize for the appearance of your home. It only draws attention to items that the buyer would not
have normally viewed as an issue anyway.
If you need to be home during a showing, stay out of the way and let the Realtor do his/her job. They will ask
you any questions if needed. Do not hover over the buyers.

I have more suggestions for you but there are a few in a nutshell. Pretend you are viewing your home as a prospective buyer or better yet, have a friend or neighbor make a run through and get some advice as to their opinions. Bottom line is though - "Don't over stress about the condition of your home". Keep it clean, tidy and accessible to all showings possible and let the rest take its course. You will be just fine. Good luck!!

Happy to help you further if you need any additional info.

Diane Wheatley, Broker
diane@moveupproperties.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 8, 2008
Stage it, get professional pictures done, price it right, let the bidding war begin.
A real good agent who can create buzz and drive traffic to your location. It is important to take good pictures and give clear and concise information about the property and the incentives in purchasing it. Also you might want to target a new market. The tool that works the best is lowering the price!

http://www.losangeleshardmoneylenders.org
Your best creative marketing tool would be to sell your property with Malibu Estates! We are a full service brokerage in Residential and Commercial Real Estate throughout California.

Check out our website at http://www.MalibuPreviews.com

Adam Weintraub - Broker / Premier Estates Director
Malibu Estates
http://www.MalibuPreviews.com
Adam@MalibuPreviews.com
DRE 01221622
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 8, 2013
Hi Wendy
Check out my fsbo tips. I have a network of really good agents if you need a free referral. Best Wishes, Gerry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAOVoR7LFvY&sns=em
Depending on the home, staging a get together in the home can work. Maybe have a local figure head come in and do a presentation on an important issue etc. It's a great way to show how the homes entertainment space functions.

Chris
What is it, a buyer, on average, moves about 13 miles from their current residence....I think playing those odds is one of the best strategies...odds favor local seller, local buyer - think and do stuff with that in mind and you may see better results.
Pricing and Visibility are the 2 most important factors. Some realtors use their wide range of contacts to bring in buyers.

Daniel Castiel
Santa Monica Real Estate Agent
310-584-7721
In my experience the best tool to get a home sold is to price it right and present it in good condition.

All the marketing in the world will do little good if the home is over priced or in poor condition.

Best Of luck to you!

Kawain Payne, Realtor
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 22, 2012
Find a creative REALTOR! Make sure they have beautiful marketing material - that's a given.

The REALTOR should try to be creative and proactive to get other agents to see the property. Also, if the commission is 6%, other agents want to sell the house, so make sure you are offering a competitive commission.

Your agent can hold contests to get other agents to view the property. That being said, make sure, like other agents suggested, that your property is showing at it's absolute best!
Hire a good local realtor and price it right!
If you ask buyers how they found the house they bought, they would say either they found it online or the agent told them about it. Even if they find it online they usually see the house through their agent.
Next question is if you ask how they chose their agent the answer could be 1. referred by a friend or relative, 2.internet. 3. open house.
Many of the top agents get most of their business through referrals and repeat customers. There is no specific tool but staying in touch with past clients is important. A good web site is equally important. Buyers first look for listings online for a few months before working with an agent.
Web Reference: http://www.gitabantwal.com
Great Marketing & Design for Realtors in Los Angeles / Santa Monica and every where else is more critical than ever in a tight market and economy. This includes great online / print marketing design collateral tools with unquestionably great photography.

I have been helping agents see results for years because I love what I do and love seeing the results of my work. Top Producing agents know to focus on what they do well and to leave the Creative Marketing to specialists and professionals like me.

Vincent Medina~
Managing Director
ArtfulMind.Biz
craigslist, that's about it you mentioned just about everything when a property is on a MLS , it automatically is downloaded to all of the other public sites, i.e. trulia, realtor .com etc.
Use unique specialized local marketplaces. Like in the stock markets - everything used to be traded on the NYSE - now stock are traded on all sorts of online exchanges. This is the direction of the residential real estate business.

Most buyers buy within 10 miles of their current residence and about 90% of buyers go to the Internet when looking for something new. The MLS relies on the abiliity of buyers agents to show your home/property to the right buyers - with the change in the market many agents have slacked off leaving buyers to fend for themselves. Play the odds.

If the value of your real estate is in the land, and/or a candidate for a redevelopment opportunity - try http://teardowns.com. They don't cover every market and certainly are not the solution for every sale - but they definatley do a good job within their niche of the real estate business.
Web Reference: http://teardowns.com
Wendy.

In our opinion the two most important aspects of selling in any market are:

1. Pricing.....Properties need to be priced right, especially in the current market where your main competition is "short sales" and "forclosures." No serious seller can afford to have an inflated sale price. Today's RE agents are being coached to not accept listings that reflect over priced property.

2. Visibility.....In addition to the marketing techniques you mention, there is a host of other considerations: curb appeal, open houses, foreign buyers, incentives, etc.

Trust there is a buyer for your property.......it's a matter of making your home known to them.

Great question.

Best wishes,
The Eckler Team
Hi Wendy,

An agent needs to be available to answer questions from the general public and also other real estate agents. Also, the home needs to be accessible so agents can show their clients the home without delay. A supra lockbox on the front door is always a plus.

The information in the MLS needs to be accurate. An agent can add up to 20 pictures per listing. These pictures will then be available for all home-buyers searching the internet.

Hiring the right real estate company. I know Rodeo Realty will advertise in the weekend LA times until the home is sold for FREE. No joke.
Networking is huge in todays market. There is so much inventory and so many skittish buyers. Talking over the existing inventory on Agent Tour every Tuesday really helps us keep up with who is looking for what.
the most important thing you can do is make sure your house is priced correctly. You broker should complete a brokers price oppinion of similar homes in yoru area that have sold in teh last 3 months, go to 6 months if there is limited comparables. Once you have your house priced right, then you have hit the major points of marketing. With MLS it is important your realtor is offering a 50/50 cobroke to attract buyer brokers. good luck with your sale
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Wendy

My apologies. I should have given you a link to the blog Jeff was referring to instead of just a link to the sign. You might find it of some interest. Be prepared. It is kind of long, as I have been adding to it fairly frequently.

http://www.trulia.com/blog/rockinblu/2008/08/thinking_about_…
Wendy
What a curious question for a home buyer to ask...I guess you are concerned that your parent's home is not selling...am I reading you right?
Your first question was about appraising before listing. I think that the answer here is that most homes (80%) are priced too high and sit on the market for a long time before they sell. The appraisal might help sellers price more realistically, however a sharp Realtor should be able to help select a list price to attract buyers.

This second question I see as moving along that same path. Are your parents selling without professional representation? There is a fundamental point that you and the other posters are missing.

In the process of selling a home, all things being equal, setting the right price is probably 80% of getting a home sold. Why is that? Because buyers shop in price ranges, so over-priced homes will not be shown.

We know it takes 10-12 showings to get an offer on a property, so the focus should be "how do I get my parent's home sold for top dollar?"

The answer is- Price It Right. The other points about cleaning, painting, staging, photos, etc., are important, but not even all these other apects will correct for an -over-priced listing. Based on your questions I am guessing that they are either selling without professional representation, or they are using an MLS Entry Only broker.

The questions you are asking miss an important point: How do you price a home? How do you know what market value is? The answer is that you need to know the market. I am in the market 24/7 and if 80% of the listings are over-priced, then that means that 80% of Realtors are having a tough time getting the price right.

And if the market value trend is downward (which it is), the longer a home sits on the market, the less it is worth.

So how do you set the right price? Know this. The buyer that FIRST sees the home they buy sees it with a REALTOR 90% of the time. That means that over-priced homes will not be shown by Realtors.

So no showings, lower the price. No offers, lower the price.

To get a home sold, you need a Realtor to sell for top dollar and terms.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Jeff,

Thanks for the kind words. Below is the link to the sign you were referring to. It is to be used on days when the house is show worthy and can be done on any day of the week at most any time. As you will see it is not a traditional "Open House" sign, as it is directed to agents. You never know when an agent might be driving one of his/her clients around in your neighborhood, and has a few spare minutes. As a Realtor, you certainly would have to have just the right people to try with this approach. Needless to say, ladies at home alone would probably not be good candidates. In any case the clients would have to be reminded to ID, ID, and ID, and agents with or without their clients should be the only ones allowed in. Some of the guys might however, be a little lax with that.

http://images3.zillow.com/is/image/i0/i0/i2930/ISzzryuyoebix…
I actually used a little tidbit from a regular trulia poster (rockinblu). If you have not read his FSBO blog, do so now. All agents should too. I actually and very easily convinced a seller client to place an open house sign in front of their house whenever they were home and it was practical. The ultimate buyer saw the home this way the first time, accompanied by their realtor while driving by. Memory escapes me as to the day, but I do know it was a weekday afternoon.
Some additional tools should include networking with other agents, direct mail to the surrouding neighborhood, open houses and networking with the agents existing client base. One never knows where the buyer might come from and so one should cast the net as far and wide as possible. Generally speaking though, the most significant tool in a seller's bag is price - that is the most powerful marketing tool available.

Lee Bothast
Coldwell Banker Residential
818.758.9364
Diane, thank you for your answer, however that wasn't what I was asking. I was asking about marketing tools realtors use to market a listing they have. How do you/they bring in buyers to look at a home?
I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring to realtors. What do realtors do in addition to the mentioned steps in my original question?
free social websites are incredible popular like activerain, craigslist, backpage, trulia and the list goes on...

Check out http://www.postandsend.com and they can show you a few tricks of the trade .