Christine, Home Seller in 94941

What are buyers looking for in a home in Mill Valley right now? I want to fix up my house now and plan to sell in a year or two.

Asked by Christine, 94941 Fri May 28, 2010

Answers

7
Tristan Celayeta’s answer
Christine,

http://www.HouseLogic.com is a tool to help decide about investment for resale.
More than anything else buyers are looking for value and a home that is clean and can be lived in without having to do a whole lot of work. You may not need to do significant remodeling to get top dollar for your home. Just clean it up, clear out a lot of stuff and present it in it's best light will get you the most for house while spending the least amount of dollars. A consultation with a designer/home stager is a great place to start. I provide this service complimentary to all my clients.
Hi Christine,

As time continues to march on, we Realtors are all wondering what projects you have taken on so far to get your home ready for the market. A lot of good advice has been given already.

My opinion:

Some things never change, such as updating kitchens and baths. But don't under estimate the most important part in getting your home ready is making sure it is clean and smells fresh. I know it seams obvious but it is surprising how many comments are made by buyers who prioritize how clean a home is kept with if they want to make an offer. Really clean the house or hire someone to it.

Paint. Off-white if not already. Yes, it can be bland at times but it allows buyers to envision themselves in the house!
If something is installed in your house, than it should work...lights, locks, doors, appliances.
Start packing you personal items. First off, they're personal and should not be for the eyes of strangers. Family pictures, awards, financial papers, self-help books...all need to go to your new place anyway!

I have been doing this for while and have helped my clients get their houses ready for the market. One house was sold within 3 days because my team and I set the stage for the buyers. The seller was prepared and willing to do what needed to be done and we sold it quickly. This is even more important today ... 'turnkey' houses sell, fixer's sell too but for a lot less. If you are stuck and need or want a consultation my cost is a cup of coffee? That goes for anyone else who needs or wants the same.

All the best to you,
Dan
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 2, 2011
Great response.
Flag Mon Feb 25, 2013
Christine,
I agree with Syliva, buyers are looking for a great deal. Right now, that is the name of the game.

Kelley
Hi Christine:

The buyers are not lookng for anything that's different from what they were looking before, but even more so now - they are looking for a Great Deal!!!

Good location, good schools for families with kids or just for future resale, good floor plan, nicely, tastefully updated (unless it is cheap), some wants turn key, some wants a bargain to fix up themselves, some wants to be close to the freeway others want up on the hills with a view, landscaping is also very important.

The bottom line is that you should have a Realtor come out and give you some advise on what you need to do to make your house more attractive to the now more than ever, the very demanding buyers... Great time to get prepared for the eventual sale of your home. If you need to do repairs, upgrades, do it now so you can enjoy it before your sale.

Sylvia Barry
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Novato, CA
Hi Christine,

First and foremost you should consider the roof, foundation, windows, flooring, exterior and interior paint (neutral colors). Make sure there are no leaks! Then the kitchen and baths. New energy efficient appliances are inexpensive and go a long way to improving a homes appeal. Check out some of the new homes being built in the area. Developers have a good sense of what buyers are looking for.

Also, please be sure to keep any improvements consistent with the style of the house. If you add new appliances, be sure to get the ones that match and not the ones on sale. Also, flooring is very important. If you add new wood floors or carpeting be sure they match the floors in the adjoining rooms etc.

House logic is a very good site. Be sure to check that out.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and good luck.
Christine,

What Buyers are looking for now might not be what is "popular" or on the Buyer's top 10 list when you sell in a couple of years!

If you are planning to sell in a few years I would take a look at your home's bones (ie foundation, roof, electrical, plumbing). Take care of those items first and as you move closer to an actual time frame to sell your home I would speak with a local agent who works with a team of professionals (landscaper, stager, architect, contractor). A good agent will meet with you 4-6 months prior to listing your home and talk about decluttering, landscaping, remodeling the bathroom/kitchen, painting inside/outside.

I have a list of remodeling projects that will give you the greatest return on investment that I give to all of my clients. If you would like a copy just let me know I'd be more than happy to email it to you.

And remember, what is in style today might not be in style tomorrow or a few years down the road. Work on the "bones" of your home and then decide which realtor and/or real estate company would give you the best advice and garner the greatest exposure for your home.

Lydia

Lydia Puller, Realtor / Relocation Specialist
Short Sale & Foreclosure Certified
Alain Pinel Realtors
100 Shoreline Rd Suite 115
Mill Valley, CA 94941
(415) 599-5028
Lydia@apr.com

Website: http://www.LydiaPuller.com
Blog: http://www.WomenBuildingWealthThroughRealEstate.com