Home Selling in Dana Point>Question Details

Jetblueone, Home Buyer in Dana Point, CA

What are Private Transfer Taxes in Dana Point?

Asked by Jetblueone, Dana Point, CA Wed Mar 14, 2012

i am looking at a short sale to purchase and it does not have Private Transfer Taxes listed. However, a house on the same street in the same gated community does have these taxes listed. What are Private Transfer Taxes, are they a fixed rate, and who pays -the seller, the bank, or the buyer.

Hi there. A PTT is usually assessed by the Hoa they can use it for whatever the choose and you don't have a say in it. If another home in the association has it, chances are your home will as well but you won't find out until u sit down at the close of escrow or have a good agent that can sniff that stuff out for you. It's a private tax and is on top of any hoas you might pay. This fee does not expire and runs in perpetuity with the sale of the home. It can be as high as 1.75% of the purchase price and you will see no added benefit from it. to see if you will have to pay it request that your agent pull the CC&Rs for the tract you are thinking of purchasing your home in.
If you need further help let me know. I will be glad to help out

Lara Gabriele

Hope this helps
Only a couple of the NEWER areas/cities have the private transfer fees. Telaga in San Clemente, Ladera Ranch and I believe there is one other
There isn't that many of them and they are only in the newer communities
Now for the tax bill. There could be Mello Roos. There are more communities with this on the tax bill itself. Again these are in the newer communities since around 1986-87
Talk to you soon

Ingrid Ski Realtor
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 30, 2013
Private transfer fees are fees that are tacked on, for example, by a builder doing a new development to cover various fees that the developer may have incurred to meet, for example, an environmental requirement or some other unusual fee that was required during the construction period. It is paid by the buyer, and attached to the deed of the home, typically for a period of 20 years or so. The PTT can go on for perpetuity, depending on the type of fee that it is.
It is not an optional payment once the first home is sold, and this PTT is attached to the deed. This is typical of newer home developmentsā€¦ not so common with older homes.
This fee can also cover lawsuits, or requirements to keep a certain amount of land open and undeveloped in a community.
Sounds like legalized extortion. The only way to stop this practice is to not help perpetuate it. Let the HOA bleed red from delinquency and abandonment until they change their unethical ways.
I specialize in Dana Point and Monarch Beach so let me know if you would like to see this home or any other homes in the area. I have several pocket listings in this area that are not on the MLS please contact me for more information.

Buyers Agent/Broker
949 218-0280 text or voice
These are usually paid by the seller
If you want to see the homes currently for sale in Dana Point go to our website http://www.bcre.com. We show everything for sale. Bob has the correct answer to your question below.

Scott, Beach Cities Real Estate
Hello there

Bob is right Dana point does not have any. The 2 communities in south orange county are telega in San Clemente and Laredo ranch. Which is usually paid by the buyer. Not the bank
Title has all the communities that have these fees. Hope this helps

Ingrid Ski Realtor
Hi Jetblueone. If you don't already have agent working on this for you and you are still in search for this information please post the gated community and I may be able to answer that for you. This transfer tax can be paid by any party involved in the transaction including the bank. This will all depend on the negotiation skills of the agents and/or short sale negotiators. This will also depend on the type of financing you are obtaining if any.
Brett Dalbeth
Realty ONE Group
Hello, I'm not aware of any communities in Dana Point which have Private Transfer "Fees" attached to them - perhaps the newer Headlands community? It MAY be an error by an agent who listed the property, being from out of the area.

The two primary communities with PTT are Ladera Ranch, and Talega in San Clemente, who both charge a 1/4 of 1% of the purchase price, to incoming buyers, but perhaps a newer neighborhood in DP got the same idea. I doubt it, though.

Private taxes are usually paid for by the buyer of the property. They can vary in amount depending on the location and community the property is located in. You would probably be better off to contact the HOA and see about obtaining a copy of their CC&R's or if you are working with a realtor see if they can obtain a property profile from a title company as I believe the private transfer tax will be noted on the grant deed. I hope this is helpful. If you have any questions feel free to email me or call me directly.

Daniel Harms
Tarbell, Realtors-Upland
Web Reference: http://www.danieleharms.com