Home Selling in West Village>Question Details

Trulia New Y…, Other/Just Looking in New York

What Questions Should one ask an agent about selling a house?

Asked by Trulia New York, New York Fri Dec 14, 2012

Answers

14
Maria Cipollone’s answer
It is critical that the real estate agent you chose is both highly skilled on negotiations and marketing, as well as a good fit with your personality. The experience and recomendations of past clients can be invaluable. Ask your friends, co-workers, family members and even at your bank if they can recomend any realtor.

Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone

Century 21 tenace

http://www.Flahomesepcialist.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 16, 2013
There are a wide range of quesitons you should be asking a broker you're considering listing with.

The first is their marketing plan. What will they do to get your property maximum exposure in the current market? What will they do differently than most other agents? What's so special about their brokerage?

The second is their background in negotiating. The agent should have a very good idea of what comparable properties are on the market right now, how to competitively price your apartment and which offer to accept. If they've done their homework before the listing appointment, they should know how much your property is worth and how to handle any negotiations.

The third is the process of selling. The agent should be aware of any pitfalls that could occur between an accepted offer to a fully executed contract. Remember that your apartment isn't sold after an accepted offer, it's sold after a fully executed contract. There are many problems that can happen before you reach the closing table and you want a competent agent who knows how to handle any unpredicted problems.

Lastly, you need to consider if you would be willing to do business with this person again in the future. Do they seem like someone you want reaching out to you after the sale of your home or you'd consider sending your family/friends to. Do they understand that the sale of your home is also an emotional process and how to handle it? It's important to have someone you trust and like to represent you for your apartment.

If you've found someone that fits these criteria's then I suggest you move forward with listing them.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 24, 2013
Actually you should not ASK any questions!

The agent you WANT to work with will answer the important questions without you needing to ask. This attribute is reflective of the agent that is focused on YOU not their ego.

The two seemingly big questions every seller has is:
1. "Annette, How much will it cost?"
2. "Annette, How long will it take?

The other questions you really want answered, but do not know these are important questions yet are:
3. "Does Annette have the experience to sell my home?"
4. "Does Annette have the resources to get my home sold?"
5. "Does Annette know what she's doing?"
6. "Does Annette have my back?"

The agent you want to work with will understand you have these questions. The ability to provide a comprehensive solution that is clear, concise and fully understandable suggests this agent has perfected their communication skills and applied those skills to addressing YOUR specific situation. When your concerns are properly assuaged, you will say, "Annette, will you call and cancel my appointment with the other agents and lets get me on my way to the next chapter of my life."

Think on this a moment.
Do you want to work with the agent you must LEAD through the process or the one who demonstrates they are, by their very nature, proactive, and reflects a deep understanding of your concerns and meets them head on?

Print this out. You will find it incredibly useful. The agent across the table will ask, "Do you have any questions?" Check your list of six questions. If you do, say 'No."

Best of success to you.
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 23, 2012
Marketing, specifically internet and broker exposure are the key elements to selling a home in today's market. Great marketing typically creates a sense of urgency, driving the traffic to your property and ultimately selling the home in the quickest amount of time and for the best price. My suggestion is to focus on the type of exposure the agent would provide and how they would market your home. Ask them for a few success stories and to be very specific. Hope that helps.

Jeff Nolan
Vice-President, Associate Broker
Corcoran Group Real Estate
Union Square Office
36 East 12th Street
New York, NY 10003
(212) 500-7022
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 20, 2012
Hi Trulia New York,

Even though this post is from two years ago, we feel as though we have the perfect blog articles for you that could answer your question. Hopefully they help the next person that has the same question as you did!

http://www.lessthan6percent.com/1/post/top-30-interview-ques…

Hopefully this helped you out and other potential house sellers. After reading our two blogs on this particular question, make sure to check us out at http://www.lessthan6percent.com/

LessThan6Percent
Hello give me a call or email me and lets set an appointment and let me show you the benefits on why you should hire me to sell your property. I have sold many properties and I have the experience to get you top dollar.
Hello Marie:

Call me or we can meet at my office to talk about referring you to the most qualified Real Estate Broker / Agent in your area. We are a member of Leading Real Estate Companies of The World (The largest Relocation Network).

Gene Platt REALTOR®
Illustrated Properties
(561) 632-5400
genedpla@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/ShowMePalmBeach
Top 3 question which you should ask from the agent is following:

1.Are you a full-time professional real estate agent? How long have you worked full time in real estate? How long have you been representing buyers? What professional designations do you have?

2.Do you have a Website that will list my home? Can I have your URL address? Who responds to emails and how quickly? What’s your email address?

3.How will you get paid? How are your fees structured? May I have that in writing?

That i think a major question hope this information will be helpfull good luck!!!

BY:

MARIE(legal bud) | http://www.internationaloddities.com/
The most important question should be about how they plan to market the home outside the MLS. Every property is different and needs a specific marketing plan.

Chris
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 23, 2012
you can ask for referrals from former sellers, check their knowledge of local area, ask where they will advertise and what type of marketing activities they plan to do. You can ask how they came up with the suggested sales price and ask for comparable properties they've used. It would help if the agent knows the neighborhood and current sales activities there. You should discuss whether they plan to do open houses or show only by appointment. Also, it would be useful to make sure the agent is very responsive and is going to communicate to you, who saw your house and when, and give feedback. Ask your agent to collect and provide you with certain info about buyers' situation with financing, mortgage pre- approval, purchasing time-line and other important qualifications.
One of the most important issues is clearly understanding the scope of agent/agency services on which you can rely. Thus, the following question.....

Can you outling for me in wiriting your successful comprehensive marketing plan for selling my home?

As a seller, one should have a clear appreciation of what they can expect from their listing agent prior to entering into any agreement. Those that have bad experiences can often trace their problems back to issues that could have been avoided if they had made this simple request.

Respectfully,

You should ask how long they have been selling real estate in the area, if they will provide featured listings on Trulia.com, Zillow.com, Realtor.com, and Streeteasy.com? Print ads aren't as important as they were a few years ago but you will want to make sure that they mail an announcement to your building and provide an open house every other Sunday as well as a catered broker open house.

Feel free to call me for more info.

Adam Hignite
Vice President
Keller Williams NYC
917-549-8675
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2012
Write down a few question like commission, how many home as
yours they have sold, can i speak with some of your past clients etc.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2012
Experience in that neighborhood, about the company and the merits of which he/she represents. Also the commission rate as well as the marketing plan for your property. Best of luck, Allan
Trulia asked this question, not a consumer - no need to wish them best of luck unless you own their stock!
:)
Flag Fri Dec 14, 2012