Home Selling in Warren>Question Details

carol, Both Buyer and Seller in Warren, MI

We would like to sell our house to relocate due to job. We still owe 200K and our house is now only worth 160K.

Asked by carol, Warren, MI Sat Apr 20, 2013

We would like to sell our house to relocate due to job. We still owe 200K and our house is now only worth 160K. The house we would like to buy is 160K. Is this financially possible for us?

Help the community by answering this question:



If you haven't already, the first thing you need to do, is run the comps in your neighborhood and surrounding area to see what similar homes are selling for.

You may be pleasantly suprised to know that you may not be underwater. Prices have been escalating at a decent rate since inventory is low and demand is high. The only way you would qualify for a new home is if you could afford both.

Email me your home address if you would like and I will run the comps for you and see what I think. My contact information is listed below.

Thank you,

(248) 379-6547
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 20, 2013
Financially possible.... there is a lot that goes into determining that. As Haig suggested I would start by making sure you have an accurate value of your home; I can provide this for you or a qualified realtor can do the same. As for figuring out if your plan is possible if you want to contact me directly I'd be happy to figure out with you if it is possible.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 22, 2013
I would love to help you with a short sale if you are interested. Depending on all circumstances you could have all deficiency release (anything owing after selling) but you might have to rent for 3 years unless you have someone who could purchase for you and you could buy from them on a land contract. Some lenders are even paying thousands of dollars to their mortgagees on a short sale because of the judgement against them for robo signing and illegal foreclosures. Please give me a call and we can discuss your options.
Becky Drob
Real Estate One
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 21, 2013
Carol, This is very possible. As the other agents have said, first, you need a good agent knowledgeable about the area to run a Comparable Market Analysis on your house. Then you need to determine if you could qualify for your current mortgage and a new mortgage through conventional lenders. If this is not possible, then there are other options for you.

If your current home proves to be "underwater" and traditional lenders will not approve you for a second mortgage to purchase another house, then you would need to sell your current house on a short sale. But, in most cases, a traditional lender will not finance you for 3 years after a short sale.

Your next option would be to work with an untraditional lender you would either finance you for your new home purchase before you short sale your house, or would finance you immediately after your short sale is complete.

I have just such a lender. They are local and they have lots of money to lend and have financed clients for me after a short sale that other lenders would not touch. If you would like to find out more, contact me by email or a phone call. My number is 248-930-0198.

Kathy Persha, Broker
Nextage Advanced Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 20, 2013
Hello Carol,

There is more than one answer to your question. Let me explain your options, as I'm the 1% of Realtors who have there Masters in Short Sale Certification as a Master Default Intermediary.

We are the experts in Short Sales in Michigan and we have helped many people get out from under their underwater homes. You need an experienced Realtor to guide you throughout the process, as this is what the lenders require.

Call or stop in to talk to one of our Short Sale consultants to weigh out your options, it's FREE and it will give you a piece of mind, as to what your next step should be. Everything we talk about is confidential.

My contact information is below, so feel free to call, text or email me as soon as you can and we can help you.

Thank you,

Suzette Kattula
Keller Williams Realty
(586) 215-61616
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 20, 2013
Hi Carol,

Can you qualify for both mortgages? If not, you can consider selling your current home short sale if necessary. You may qualify for an exemption due to job transfer in purchasing another home. I would do as Haig said and contact an area agent to get a current market analysis to determine if and how much you are underwater. I would also recommend speaking with a loan officer to determine your options in purchasing a new home or if you'll need to wait to purchase.

If you need the assistance of an area agent I would be happy to assist. I've practiced real estate and currently live in Warren. I was also the former City of Warren Realtor.

Good Luck!

Karen Paytas, GRI, CMS
Real Living Kee Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 20, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer