Home Selling in Louisville>Question Details

Evelyn, Home Seller in Louisville, KY

We were planning on selling our home this year in Louisville. We have an inground pool and learned that we need a new liner. Should we fill-in the?

Asked by Evelyn, Louisville, KY Thu Apr 8, 2010

pool and stay or put a new liner in and stay for another year. What is economically the best solution to my problem. It will probally cost around $3,000. Evelyn

Sharon Roark’s answer
I agree with Michelle -- if you can temporarily patch the pool and open it while it's on the market, that's what I would suggest. You'll want to make it clear in your listing that you're willing to fill in the pool for the buyers so that it appeals to both people who love pools and people who don't.

Also keep in mind home staging when you're putting your house on the market. As a realtor and home stager in Lexington, KY, I can tell you that the houses I stage sell significantly faster and usually for more money than the houses I list that aren't staged.

When buyers are looking to buy a new house, they're also looking for cues in the house as to the lifestyle they would live if they bought this particular home -- if the house looks clean and organized, the prospective buyers assume they would live a clean and organized lifestyle if they buy this home. If it's dated and cluttered, they assume it will be dated and cluttered if they buy the house. Only about 5%-10% of buyers actually have the imagination to look past the current decor to envision how the how would look with their furnishings/decor, so you need to set the stage by showing off your house as being mostly neutral with small accents of color here and there.

If you ever have any questions about how to staging your home for sale in KY or elsewhere, feel free to contact me by visiting my site listed below.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 8, 2010
These are all good answers. Just be careful about the wording of the credit towards the repairs. Decorating allowances, for lack of a better term, are considered an inducement to purchase. Better to pay those dollars towards closing costs and prepaids to avoid any issues with the appraisal and/or the buyer's mortgage underwriter. An underwriter could easily ask to have the repairs made prior to closing.
Hello Evelyn,

As a former pool owner, I understand your dilemma. I suggest not opening the pool until you are ready to list your home. If you are able to temporarily patch the pool (cheap kits found at local hardware/ home improvement stores), do so and open it while listed. Leave this option for potential buyers: $3000 credit at closing to apply towards a new liner or filling the pool. I have this option to be a win/win for both sellers and buyers.
Web Reference: http://MichelleDoscher.mobi

I agree with all of the answers so far with one exception, inaction will probably result in a much lower sale price should you decide to move forward on selling. The largest two problems we have when financing a home in today’s market are credit issues and problems with appraisals. You do not want to be in a position that requires disclosing a major issue to a buyer or appraiser unless it is simply impossible to fix under your current financial situation.

The questions Debbie brought up are on the mark, choosing the correct action is not a simple yes/no, should look at the big picture.

Living in Louisville myself I realize that a pool here is very subjective. We have a long pool season and it can get very hot and humid.....so pools can be desirable. They also require maintenance and are an additional expense to the homeowner. The questions concerning the pool that I would ask myself (and you) if I were your realtor and pricing your home for sale would be:
How does the pool fit into your neighborhood? Is it a fairly common feature?
Does the cost to fill in exceed the cost to repair?
If you were staying would you repair it?
What is your time line?
In other words how does the pool fit into the bigger picture?
As mentioned previously in replies you can also do nothing and leave it up to the buyer to address by any of the options mentioned below.
You can check out other things to consider by looking at the big picture using my sellers guide. Link to request is below.

Web Reference: http://www.debbierood.com
If you're going to sell during summer, fix the pool. If you're selling in the winter, fill it in. There are as many people that hate them as there are that love them, and they look awful in the off season.
Hello Evelyn,
The pool could definitely be a selling point, so I would hesitate in recommending that you fill it in.
(What was the cost difference between the new liner & having the pool filled in? There may not be much of a difference).
I would recommend that you disclose the need for a new liner (if you could get the pool company that recommended it to you to put it in writing along with the cost) to potential buyers & see what they say. It is quite possible that it may not be a major issue to them & if it is, you could give them a credit (maybe of what it would have cost to fill it in or? -it's all negotiable).
I did find it interesting that you wrote "fill-in the pool and stay or put a new liner in and stay".Why are you planning on selling?
Have a great day!
If you have the money than replace the liner, if you do not hold off and list as is. You could credit the new buyer 3000 at closing so they could get a liner, they could then ask you to fill it in or could make an offer as is at a slightly lower price and take care of it themselves. By filling it you may lose a little value or a buyer that may only want a house with a pool. good luck with your sale.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com