Home Selling in Yonkers>Question Details

Jill, Home Seller in Yonkers, NY

We were looking to use a flat rate listing on the MLS rather than a traditional listing. Are there ways to save when using a broker instead?

Asked by Jill, Yonkers, NY Mon Feb 13, 2012

Answers

11
My suggestion meet with a few listing agents. You will find one that you connect with. It makes the experience of selling or buying a home that much better. And yes you can always negotiate the commission %.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 13, 2012
You just have to ask brokers they are all independent and one may do a flat rate for you.
As other agents have said commission is negotiable. I try to help folks in my area save money when they sell if I help them buy another home. Depending on your circumstances maybe you can find something similar.

P.S. I love the line you always get what you pay for. Tell that to all the folks sitting in the luxury auto dearlerships service dept, or passengers of cruise ships. You can always find GOOD DEALS out there from reputable firms if you do some easy research.
If you are looking to save the commission you can do a For Sale By Owner for between $195 and $395 plus whatever commission you want to offer an agent if they bring a buyer to you. To succeed you must be sure that you prepare your home properly, price your home properly, understand how you will handle offers if and when they come in, how you will qualify the buyers, how to interpret the contract so you know what the deadlines are such as financing deadlines, inspection deadlines, repair deadlines, closing deadlines, escrow deadlines, etc. Be sure you have a lot of time to market your home on all of the necessary websites. 92% of buyers begin their search on the website.

If you have children warn them not to open the door to strangers because people will be knocking to see the property NOW. I know I left something out. Don't forget to do the research so you know how long it is taking homes that are priced the same to sell in your area. No sense packing today if it takes 234 days to sell a property priced, staged and landscaped property.

As a professional I select the customers and clients I work with. I educate and inform buyers and sellers before and during the listing. So do your research and be prepared for a lot of surprises. I know some savvy sellers that have done a great job. But I do have to ask--would you work very hard if your boss told you he was going to "discount" your salary because he didn't think your services had any value? You're right. It would be pretty insulting.
Hi, The old saying you get what you pay for, or don't pay for comes into play here. You can always negotiate a commission with your agent. One thing to keep in mind is that when commissions are cut, service, communication, marketing are usually affected too....are you willing to compromise on any of those? I know in my case we pay for the advertising of our properties out of our own pocket so we have a vested interest in selling your property.

Chris
You can negotiate commission with an agent as Anna said below. When using a flat rate listing you usually get no other services aside from being on the MLS. When you engage a professional full service agent they provide a plethora of services from marketing, pricing, vetting potential buyers, educating you, advising you, keeping you abreast of market conditions, making sure offers are from pre-approved buyers, staging help, and a whole host of other things that you might not realize; until it's not there. The way I think of most flat rate listings is a FSBO on the MLS. It's a tough market today, most agents are flexible on their commissions, it may not cost as much as you think, and the benefits should be enormous.
Jill - Get a great agent/broker & they will save you thousands in experience, negotiation, advertising etc. Real estate is one of those things that "you get what you pay for", so it's not necessarily saving you any money going with a flat fee company. You may want to go the traditional route & ask the agents interviewed what their selling % is in relation to the listing price? What's their average days on market for listings before they are pending or sold? Also how many homes they sold comparable to yours in the past 1 year, 6 months, 3 months? You want an active, top selling agent. They are worth the money.
Buying/Selling a home is a HUGE financial responsibility. You should use a top notch professional, it's not the time to pinch pennies.
Hi Jill,

You will find that you get what you pay for and generallyby hiring a top age tand not the cheapest bidder can result in you walking away with more money in your pocket at the closing table. If interested call me to discuss further.

Tony Murphy

Associate Broker
Houlihan Lawrence
Office: 914-328-8400 ext 329
Fax: 914-328-7902

Website: http://www.TonyMurphyHomes.com
Hi Jill: My name is Michael Levy & I'm the Principal Broker of Grand Lux Realty. Our office is in Armonk & we work throughout the lower Hudson Valley. We do a lot in Yonkers. We offer a unique style called "customizable commission". Basically we can structure our services & your commission to your desired level. You only pay for the services you need. You can even pay with cash (outside of the closing) to save even more money. If you find your own buyer as a FSBO, you'll save the commission. And you'll have exposure to all the local agents & hundreds of websites. We are a hybrid between a full-service, full-commission, main-street brokerage & a flat-fee, discount, internet broker. You can see more information on our website or call me at 914-273-9688. Thanks & have a great day. BTW, we're looking for more agents & offer a 70% commission split with no fees. If you know anybody who might be interested, I'll pay you up to $1,000 each for your agent recruits.
As mentioned, all commissions with licensed realtors are negotiable. You must evaluate what you are getting for the fee as well as how much the fee will be. Not all rates are created equal and neither are all realtors. If you would like a list of things to consider when searching for a realtor...AskRey.

Rey Hollingsworth Falu
Licensed Associate Real Estate Broker
Houlihan Lawrence - Bronxville

Direct 917-855-0277
rhollingsworth@houlihanlawrence.com
Web Reference: http://AskRey.net
Keep in mind that when using a broker, the commission is negotiable between you and your agent, there are no set standards; therefore why not interview in person a few local agents, from different realty offices, then choose the one you like best and who has the most to offer. Keep in mind that in today's market, pricing and marketing that maximizes your exposure are paramount.