Greyna, Home Seller in Austin, TX

We own a duplex and want to sell one side only. Would converting it to a condo or townhome be a better?

Asked by Greyna, Austin, TX Tue May 5, 2009

expensive option? My mother lives on the side we want to retain ownership of until she is ready to move on. I would like to be as hands off as possible once we sell. What is our best option and what would it take to make it happen?

Answers

3
Lynn911.com Dallas Realtor’s answer
Prior to doing any further time invested you need to contact the city for anytime of conversion from a duplex to condo or townhome. Without city approval you can exhaust all of time and energy.

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Mortgage Loan Officer, Lecturer regarding Credit Repair
Lynn911
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
You will need to set-up what is referred to in the industry as a "condo regime". You will need to hire an attorney, survey company, and a few other professionals to assist you with this project. Ball park total cost for everything will be around $5,000 (that includes city and county fees as well). I would also consult with a REALTOR before you begin this process and make sure you understand all the marketing advantages and disadvantages to doing this.
I wouldn't "convert" it. How many bedrooms/baths is half of the duplex you are wanting to sell? 3 BRs sell better than 2 BR duplexes. But if the property is in a desirable neighborhood, good condition and priced correctly then it should not be too hard to sell.