Home Selling in Frankfort>Question Details

Tjm100, Home Seller in Frankfort, IL

We no longer use the swimming pool and deck in the back yard. Should we take it down or leave it up before we sell our home?

Asked by Tjm100, Frankfort, IL Sun Jul 10, 2011

We no longer use the pool and deck. Our kids have grown up and moved out. I want to take down the pool & deck to save on maintenance costs, but my wife thinks keeping it up will add to the selling price of our home. We are probably going to be selling within a year.

Answers

5
Attorney Ranj Mohip’s answer
It comes down to whether the pool and deck are in good shape or not. You can always have your agent include in "agent remarks" that you will take it down if the buyer requests its removal.

Attorney Ranj Mohip is a Chicago real estate attorney. The information in this answer is general information and is not intended as legal advice. Further, answering this question or otherwise contributing as a member of Trulia.com does not create an attorney-client relationship. Remember--consult the best real estate attorney in Chicago or in your respective area. Contact us at http://www.ranjmohip.com for more information
Tjm100,
I always advise my sellers that a pool is a 50/50 thing. Those buyers that love them are happy to have it. On the other hand, those buyers who view the pool as additional work or a potential drowning problem, would rather not have it at all. I have seen many walk away from a home with a pool.

A solution is to leave it up and offer in the listing to take it down as part of the transaction.

Some of my clients have called me the psychological Realtor. I do have much experience in psychology, demographics and marketing. To learn more about strategies that no one else uses to sell you home, contact me.
Hi Tjm100
If your planning to sell your home and the pool and deck are in perfect condition they I would keep the pool and deck up for the sale. You can alway offer to tear down the pool and deck if you find a buyer not interested in it.
Sandy Mecca
Realtor CRIS Realty
815 342-3616
Tjm,

Simply stated, if you view the pool as an asset to your property leave it in its current state. On the other hand, if it is a detractor and does nt improve the appeal of your home, consider removing it.

Generally speaking, above ground pools are not viewed as features that enhance a home's value or desirability.

It really depends on the condition, and presentation, of the pool/deck. Also, if everyone else in the neighborhood has a pool/deck, it might be best to keep it.

Typically, an above ground pool will not add to the selling price, but it may be a great feature/benefit that will motivate a buyer to purchase.... Especially if you "stage it" well during the warm months.

I would strongly recommend talking with a local agent, about your local market before doing any major projects. They can advise you on what to do to get the highest possible price for your home.

You can always offer to remove the pool/deck prior to closing, if the buyer prefers.

I'll be happy to connect you with a great agent in your area, if needed. Just let me know.

Hope this helps,

Randy
Web Reference: http://www.trust2move.com