Connie, Home Seller in Fremont, CA

We live in liberty common in fremont. We want to know if we should sell our house now or after two years

Asked by Connie, Fremont, CA Sat Mar 8, 2008

later. Please help! Thank you.

Answers

13
The problem I see is in the Fremont area you have a lot of homes that are being Short Saled which means that what you may need from your home will probably not be there at this time. If can wait I would hold off until late this year when I feel things will start to settle down.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 10, 2008
if you don't sell now, you may lose even more value. the market will go down for the forseable future. if you don't need to move, stay put. or else sell asap. we will see a sof t market for 5-10 yrs. case schiller index notes CA homes are still 50% over-valued. good luck
John
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 10, 2008
Hi again,

I agree with Dot Chance. You need to look around and study the market in order to know where the status is. If you are not in a need to sell then don't. As for the future market turn we don't have a crystal ball to tell you what is really going to happen but I do believe that after the Presidential election pass over we will see more of the brighter side of the real estate market. Most of the listings now in most of states and not in California only are competing with short sales and bank owned listings. It makes harder to sell without severe reduction in price. Properties in Liberty Common were hot buys two years ago. That's why I asked you more detailed information so I can tell you which way to make a move. I hope you think twice before decide to take your action.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 9, 2008
Looking at the data for Liberty Common, there are 8 active listings currently. This is a huge number given the fact that one house has gone sale pending recently and another one got sold in last six months. It is hard to speculate about the market conditions two years from now. Given the density of homes in Liberty Common, I doubt the scenario could be all that rosy even if market conditions were to improve..
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 9, 2008
Connie
I think the question I would ask you is why are you selling?
If the answer is the buy another home, where? In the same area? From your answer it sounds as though that might be your plan.
If that were the case, then I would sit down with you and run some scenarios:
1. If you are buying in the same area, then you may "lose" when you sell your home, but will more than make it up when you buy your larger home (larger homes will discount the same percentage wise, however the dollars will increase.

Your home may sell for 10% less, 10% of $200,000 is $20,000. If the larger home is $350,000, and you can buy it for 10% less, that's $35,000 less, so you'd be $15,000 ahead.

If there is a different scenario re-post if you like.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 9, 2008
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Hello Connie,

Thank you for your question. There are several factors that I need to ask you before I can answer to your question. I need to know the year when you acquire the property , the existing loan amount, the reason why do you want to sell. Send me an email so I can do all the calculations for you then I can give you the right answer. You can either send your information and request on my website or send me an email so I can help you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 8, 2008
Hi Connie,

What did you end up doing?
Sell your home in late Winter or early Spring. You would have a higher return due to shortage of homes in Fremont.
The mortgage rates are still very low, so you can make a better choice on buying a home when the competition will not be so demanding like last year and the year before.
Detached homes tend to be a better long term investment than condo's or townhouses.

Philip
510-399-8884
Legacy Real Estate
An important question is why are you selling. If you are under water (owing more then the home is worth) I would try to wait awhile before selling. It is hard to tell what the market will be doing in two years. Having a market analysis done may help in making your decision.
Hi Connie,
I know you asked this question a few years ago. Has your situation changed? Do you want to get an idea on what is going on today?

Allan Dajano
Intero Real Estate
allan.dajano@gmail.com
Its a great time to upgrade. There are no homes for sale in the complex right now. The homes have appreciated about 50k since summer. There are great number of first time buyer trying to make the Nov 30 deadline for the tax credit. As on the buying side the interest rate are at an all time low and more affordability.
Please let me know if I can be of help. I have sold a few homes in the complex. please contace me at
510-520-6958-Nina Sidhu with Intero Real Estate Services.
Web Reference: http://www.ninasidhu.com
Hello Connie,

I just listed a property on 3568 Madison Cmn in your community. I've seen a lot of interest and hope to sell within 6-8 weeks. I think its a great time to sell and upgrade as there are a lot of first time buyer looking into buying homes. And Liberty Commons is very popular among first time buyer. As for the other listings sitting on the market in your community. All I have to say that to sell in this market the homes have to be priced and marketed aggressively :).
Annie had a great answer for you. My very broad answer without knowing all the facts is that if you do not NEED to sell right now you probably shouldn't. Hopefully, in a couple of years the market will be in a much better place for those who would like to sell.

You need to consider what your competition will be if you place your home on the market now. In my area, Los Angeles, you would be competing against short sales and foreclosures - that makes it tough for a "normal" seller. Right now the majority of the buyers are looking for a "steal."
Web Reference: http://www.DotChance.com