Home Selling in Provo>Question Details

Lasvegasluva, Home Seller in Provo, UT

We just accepted an offer for our house and since we signed it a day ago, the buyers have requested to see the house 3 times. Is it normal to have?

Asked by Lasvegasluva, Provo, UT Thu Apr 29, 2010

to keep showing the house to the buyers after it is under contract?

Answers

8
I completely disagree with Annette and Ron. Yes it is inconvenient, and you could have a nice conversation with the buyers, or their agent (or your agent if you have one) explaining that you really need time and space to get packed, and get the home cleaned. BUT what you want is an excited buyer. And they sound excited, maybe a bit nervous as well, but for sure they are committed, and excited. Don't treat them like you do not want them around, or you may end up loosing them.
Clearly they are excited!
I know when I buy a new car or new house I want to take EVERYONE for a ride and compel them to celebrate with me. Sometimes the excitement overruns self control.

So, just say, NO.

The buyer will be entitled to access the home they are buying during the home inspection, and often during the appraisal. Then the final walk through.

Now, what if there was no signed purchase agreement? What if they were still interested buyers? Would you ban them after three visits?

At some point a buyer may want wise Uncle Mo and the in-law providing the down payment to give their blessing to the purchase. Then comes the, "Will that 70 inch flat screen fit in the fireplace and will all the pieces of the sectional fit in the living room?"

If you say NO to soon you just might kill the golden goose. It is to your advantage to keep the excitement level as high as possible. When the level comes down, what replaces it is buyers remorse.

Advise your agent you would like to accommodate the buyers needs, within reason, defined by, 2 more visits and no more. THEN be flexible.
It is normal for buyers to want to see the property after they go to contract but doing so multiple times needs to be addressed. As previously stated, set come perameters with your agent to be presented to the buyer without upsetting them.

After three visits......the next one should be the "final walk through" just prior to closing.
What is your agent advising--Did your original agreement address this issue--review the documents and make a determination--if it wasn't addressed do discuss the issue with your agent.
You need to set the rules on this. Have your realtor let them know that enough is enough and you will allow one more visit so they need to get everything done at that time. you should also set a time limit to the visit.. Hope this helps.
I agree that this is an excited buyer, however, there are limits to everyone's patience here. I always tell my buyers that they can have 1 time to bring friends and relatives in to see the Prize after it is under contract, and 1 time with inspections to do their measuring and be with the inspector to make sure the house is right for them. After that, I tell them they need to respect the privacy of the sellers who are trying to move and cannot keep up with the "show ready" status that the buyers are expecting.

I haven't had any trouble with this scenario if I educate my buyers beforehand (like a good agent should).
If it bothers you to have them constantly coming over (and they should always, ALWAYS have their agent with them), just tell your Realtor and limit the visits.
Good luck to you!
Debbi Love
.
Not to worry...may be an excited buyer planning furniture, upgrades, etc. The more access to the property the buyers have the more comfortable they will feel with the transaction.....unless there is something to hide? I wouldn't worry about it...it sounds like an excited buyer.
That depends on your agreement. It sounds like you might also be working with an investor.