Lindsay Parks, Both Buyer and Seller in Omaha, NE

We have our townhome on the market in Cattail Creek as for sale by owner. How can we drum up business to get people in for an open house?

Asked by Lindsay Parks, Omaha, NE Tue Jul 10, 2012

Answers

13
answer
Correctly pricing your home is the most important thing to do. Have you enlisted the help of friends, coworkers, family? Tell everyone you know. Everyone. Listing on zillow and/or trulia give your home exposure. Most importantly be safe when showing your home. Follow the advice given by Jen Haeg for your safety and I would add to that, ask the buyer's if they have been pre-approved? Most agent's get their buyer's preapproved before they show houses. If you have questions, feel free to contact me, lschraeder@npdodge.com
Lindsay, I would advertise your open house on trulia, the local newspaper and put signage on your street corners...but remember these 5 tips when showing!
1-protect yourself and your home- always get the name, address and phone of all visitors
2- put away your valuables!
3- never tell anyone when you are NOT home
4-never let a buyer separate while touring your home
5- never call them back, you will sound anxious!
I hope your home sells quickly and for a good price. If you want help or have more questions, feel free to contact me @ 402.885.3145 or jhaeg@npdodge.com. Best regards, Jenn
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 10, 2012
Put up signs on 180 and 168th and Harrison and Q also advertise in Zillow, Trulia and Craigslist. I used to be in the mortgage business as well and can help you with any getting any buyers pre-qualified. Call me at 402-699-9555. I live out on your area and am very familiar with what townhomes are going for out there.
@Lindsay Parks, as a for sale by owner (FSBO), much of your success will depend on exposure (exposure of your open houses, exposure of your home in general, etc.). Do you have the ability to place your home for sale in the MLS, by way of either a flat fee MLS listing or an entry only MLS listing? The MLS will invariably have open house announcements attached to listings, which then get syndicated to other websites and possibly even local papers. Take a peek at our "How to FSBO" guide, the URL is noted in the web reference section immediately below, there may be some tips and tricks in there that you can implement. Hope that helps!
Lindsay - when having an open house please be sure to ask your prospects if they are preapproved? If so ask for the preapproval letter. If you need any help on the mortgage end of the deal please contact me or give them my info. I work weekend hours too just like the real estate agents do. I am easy to reach.

Debra Dodge
402-312-9775 fax 402-218-4309
debradodge@leader1.com
http://www.debradodge.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 2, 2013
Yes it is all about the advertising for an open house. Try to advertise for 2 weeks on any website you can get it on for free. Also, put a sign in front of your house a few days before with the scheduled date and time. Many times drive bys like the outside and will decide to come back to see the inside. Jenn Haeg is right about protecting yourself and valuables. I would also suggest not being alone or having someone close by just for peace of mind.
For sale by owner signs, open houses, advertising on websites, I have sold by owner before using these forms of advertising. But some times you may just have to hire an agent to help market your home putting on the MLS.
I just put one of my properties on the market last week, even though I am a licensed agent I put a
for sale by owner sign out, and that is the only form of advertising I put out. To my surprise from one week ago I have had at least 1 - 2 calls per day I think its about 15 calls now.
But 1st caller and " I did call back" , made me a full price cash price offer that I took, this was actually in Gretna area and priced around the 150k range. with avg. market time of 12 days in the subdivision it was in, If you are in a good area with low avg. days on the market you may have this happen to you also. If you don't call back how will you talk with them?
You also have to price right as well. If you do need help and want to get it listed give me a call at 402-709-9768. Thanks Paul
Lindsay,

I have supplemental marketing I provide to For Sale By Owners at no charge. We can get your home on the front page of google for you and help you harness the power of facebook also. If you are interested, give me a call next week at 402-333-5432.

Dennis W Clark
Freedom Lending, LLC
dennis@mortgageloansofamerica.com
If you haven't sold it yet, Give me a call! 402-714-5715
Web Reference: http://OmahaHomeShop.com
Lindsay,

I have a For Sale By Owner Program that I make available to my clients that creates exposure like
no other I have seen. If you are interested in finding out more, let me know and I can take you through it.

Dennis W Clark
dennis@mortgageloansofamerica.com
402-333-5432
Hi Lindsay,
How are you advertising your property? On Zillow and Trulia? If so, perhaps you could advertise it there. Also, good signage is very important. Have you done an open before; and if so, when are you doing them and for how long? Let me know....I'd be glad to answer any more questions you may have. Lyn Echter 402-658-8813; lyn.echter@cbshome.com
Some good suggestions below , but also you need to find out what you need to price your home at so its not overpriced. By owner you have the ability to take a lower price even though you don't want to.
As an agent that buys and resells homes, I try to sell by owner 1st as well, but if you don't have it sold in the 1st 30-45 days you will probably need to consider listing with an agent. I have one now in an area that I thought that I could sell by owner since the avg. market time was under 45 days. I had numerous calls and held open houses with 5-6 couples each open, that would show up. But most were not approved and alot of them it was not in their price range. And a few neighbors. Unfortunately this is what you mostly get thru most open houses. Not saying that you won't get lucky.
Anyways I decided to list it after 60 days, and the house next door listed and sold within 3 weeks.
So I raised the price 15,000 because I had it way underpriced, because I wanted to sell it on my own . I had roughly 20 showings in the 1st week and 2 offers.
Another tip, You can spend hundreds on advertising and you may not sell it on your own.
You really can't beat the MLS for getting your home sold, is my point.
Here is a site you can make some nice flyers from. http://www.postlets.com you can also post directly to craigslist on this site as well as others.
You can also read a book on how to sell your home in seven days, you can try using some of these tips. I have also tried using bright flouresent signs, they need to lead directly to the home cause using the address isn't always enough. This really catches peoples attention.
So if everything else doesn't work you can give me a call at 402-709-9768 Thanks Paul
Hello Lindsay,

It really depends on how motivated you are to sell. One of the best ways is to offer incentives and or creative / alternative financing options. Incentives such as paying for closing costs, pre paying taxes, HOA fees and/or insurance. You could also offer to pay for inspection, appraisal and/or repairs needed.

In addition, if maybe the kitchen or bathroom aren't up to date, you could provide the buyer with an allowance or credit ( a fixed/determined amount) for upgrades after closing. This is how most new construction works. The buyers get to choose and personalize finishes, floors, appliances, ect.

You could even contact a landscaping company, cleaning service and or moving company and offer the buyers 6months-- a year worth of services pre paid.

De-personalize,( remove family photo) de-clutter as much as you can and staging is very important.

I hope this was helpful Lindsay. I do have a "Guide to Selling" with many other tips. If you would like to shoot me an email, lisa.lemaire@bostoncityproperties.com and I would be happy to send to you.

Best of luck!

Lisa Marie