Zema, Home Seller in 77090

We have our house on the market for almost 4 months . There are barely any showings. Dropped the price twice, photos and the description are great.

Asked by Zema, 77090 Fri Nov 20, 2009

Any suggestions? MLS# 16573554.

Answers

14
If you're not getting any showings, then it's priced too high.

That's especially the case based on what Jackie says. I don't know your market. She does. But if there's a lot of competition, then you have to be especially attractive.

Since I don't have access to your MLS, I can't run comps. And although third-party services are pretty much suspect, one site I logged onto has CyberHome data which indicates that up until August it was calculating the value of your home at about $76,000. It's shot up since then, but such a gain in a few months is pretty suspect. Have your Realtor run another CMA.

As for the photos--they're pretty good. They're technically OK, and they show the rooms adequately. But they don't make me want to buy.

The first photo, of the front of your home, makes it look like a rent-by-the-month storage container. You've got the two garage doors, a lot of paving, and security bars.

The second picture--the white sofa facing the wall, the small room, the small TV, looks small and cramped. Do people actually want to sit on a couch facing a wall? Consider staging the room differently.

The photo with the small table and chairs on the big expanse of flooring with the ceiling fan above just looks odd.

You've got a narrow little galley kitchen. It looks nice enough and the appliances look fine. But remember that the two areas that sell a home are the kitchen and the baths. This is OK, but it's not selling. The text describes it as a "gourmet kitchen." No, it isn't.

Looks like you've got a nice sun room and a really nice back yard. That ought to be emphasized more. However, redo the photos. Clean up the deck. And move some of those potted plants out of the picture; there are way too many of them.

Getting back to curb appeal, your house has none. Further, from Google Maps (as well as even your own photo), it's really overgrown all the way from the road to the house. Spend some money on landscaping.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Two major factors affect the saleability of any property: Price and/or condition. If the condition is excellent and you are not attracting showings, then it is priced too high for the market. At the right price, a Buyer will emerge.
Have your Realtor rerun the recent comps, to see how your home stacks up against the others that are currently available in your immediate neighborhood.
We are in a more challenging time of year, staring at the Holidays. Still, the Buyers who are actively looking right now are very motivated.
Burglar bars amy be wonderful, but they can give the wrong message to prospective buyers. I would suggest that they be removed.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 22, 2009
PRICE is always the issue. Anything will sale if it's priced right. Doesn't matter the agent, designations or anything. You only need one buyer... I list foreclosures for a local bank, mainly new construction that need very little work! My foreclosure listings don't sale because they have agents that are super agents, they sale because they are low in price. Each day that goes by is one day closer you will be to selling your home regardless to what method you use. Just stick in there if you have a plan. If you don't have a plan please have your realtor create one for you. That is what we get paid for.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 20, 2009
Zema,

I just looked at the photos. Hint: You only have one chance at making a good first impression. I like security as well as the next person, but burgular bars?

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8…
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 20, 2009
Zema,

I'm from Fort Worth so I'm hoping someone in your area will chime in, but your statistics are looking pretty grim in the 77090 area. In 3 months there were only 5 sales (Trulia stats) which was a decrease in sales of 16.7% from last year.

There are currently 144 resale and new homes in ZIP code 77090 on Trulia, including 79 homes in the pre-foreclosure, auction, or bank-owned stages of the foreclosure process. So it sounds like a whole lot of competition.

Jackie
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 20, 2009
Everyone talks about price and the condition of the home.. but the biggest factor affecting the marketability of a home is accessibility.. if the agent doesnt answer the phone or is it difficult to schedule an appointment? Act as an anonymous buyer and call the number listed on your MLS listing. Does the agent answer the phone when you call? If not do they return the calls promptly? How easy is it to schedule an appointment to view the property? Does the agent utilize Centralized Showing Service that answers calls on their behalf? Is a courtesy call required to schedule an appointment to see the home? If it is difficuly to contact an agent, schedule an appointment and view the property then you are likely losing most of your potential buyers. Do yourself a favor and walk the path of a potential buyer by acting as an anonymous caller.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 22, 2009
I also looked up your listing. The photos are fine. The description is fine. I'll agree with Lacey - at this point, it is about price. Unfortunately the longer you sit on the market, the more buyers start to wonder why your home has been listed so long. Although your home could be priced fairly and showing great, days on market still play a factor for some buyers.

I noticed your off 1960 around some commercial businesses. You probably have a smaller buyer pool to attract. If you want to sell fast, and have the ability, reduce the price. Buyers are looking for bargains in today's market. You certainly don't have to give it away, but reducing may help.
Web Reference: http://www.katiekteam.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 21, 2009
The property at 17914 WILD OAK DR is been on the market since 8/11/2008 with two diferent agents total days on the market 447,
Market is slow plus new house are giving a lot incentive to the buyers etc; You have to be patient even do you house is 30k less than the comparable.
Okay. Don't laugh everyone.

Zestimate: $177,500 30-day change: -$1,000 Value Range: $143,775 - $193,475 Last updated: 11/20/2009

However regarding Trulia's stats, I've found them to be just as suspect. I used to quote them only to have Realtors with actual access to the MLS associated with the area in question post corrections to them that were monumental.
I was looking at the pictures, maybe you need to get new pictures so when the people search it will show a different house, there are not too many pictures, maybe you can add more, How many houses are you competing with? Is the price of your house too high, How is the commission. Offer more commission to the Buyers agent and some incentives to the sellers if you can like some closing costs.

Nationwide research shows that there are five main reasons real estate doesn't sell:
1 -Price
2 -Condition
3 -Location
4 -Listing Agent
5 -Marketing Plan
Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When checking comps in your neighborhood, you are a bit on the high side (price per sq ft) and the stickler here is that you are close to the hospital, that is a downer for quite a few people looking. Your price needs to be very competitive on the market, especially now that we are getting into the holiday season, when most people tend not to want to move. You should be under $120,000 and your agent should refresh your listing. Make sure directional signs are added for people who work at the hospital, or around the hospital, so they might see that the home is listed.
I would recommend utilizing a professional home staging consultant. Pictures leave the consumer with a first impression. High quality photography, neutral paint colors and staging are the key! Good luck with your sale.

Warmest regards,
Shelly Greer
Get a new agent that has "proven result"s in this market within your city. Another suggestion would be to find an agent that has a CRS designation.....they will be in the top 4% of agents nationwide. Hope this helps.
Derek Merrill 615-513-2991