Home Selling in West End>Question Details

Lisa Musselw…, Home Seller in West Columbia, SC

We have had my mother's home listed since the end of Sept with a realtor. She has not shown the house but to

Asked by Lisa Musselwhite, West Columbia, SC Fri Jan 25, 2008

two people. One was a person who drove by and saw the for sale sign and the other answered a newpaper ad which has not been run for a LONG TIME. We are unfortunately under contract until Mar 16th. Any suggestions as to what could be said to the agent for help? We are under a second contingency contract for a patio home and are hoping for a third contract in hopes the house will sell soon. My parents are divorced and I want my Mom in a home she doesn't have to do yard work or maintenance. Thank you to anyone who will respond

Answers

2
Lanre Folayan’s answer
Hello Lisa. I am very sorry to hear that your mother's home is still on the market. I know it must be frustrating. The homes are staying on the market longer longer now. If your realtor is doing everything that they said they were going to do in their listing presentation to help you sell your mother's house and communicating with you at least once a week by giving you a report on the activity that they are getting from your mother's house,then you should have nothing to worry about. If not,then you might have to come up with a different plan. Hope you get your home sold soon.
There are many reasons why the home may not be shown. While, most often it is price - marketing is a must. I am not convinced that Print Ads do much - if anything. I would ask her what Internet Marketing is being done? Where can I find the home on the Internet? What websites is the home being advertised?

Also, are the pictures up to date? Is there a Virtual Tour? What about signage? Open Houses have mixed results - often depending on the Neighborhood - have any been done?

What incentives are being offered? Closing costs? Home Warrenty? Buyer Agent bonus?

There are so many things it could be; it is hard to know. Selling and Marketing a home requires many different tactics and strategies. There is no "Fix-All" (I wish!).

I would sit down with your agent and discuss your unhapiness. If you feel she is not doing her job - then you need to terminate the relationship. You should be able to Terminate early by "Mutual Agreement of all parites." If you are truly unhappy with the agent; then tell her you wish to terminate. If she refuses; talk to her manager or broker. No agent (should) want to work with an unhappy seller.

Keep in mind however; that while most people's first instict is to blame the agent; it is not always the agents fault the home isn't being shown/sold. It is their fault if they are not marketing the home or properly communicating/advising you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 25, 2008