Home Selling in Raleigh>Question Details

runnergirl, Home Seller in Raleigh, NC

We have a 3 story house, a large sun room on the ground level, should we convert this room into a bedroom?

Asked by runnergirl, Raleigh, NC Sun Mar 17, 2013

Answers

8
Irina Bennett’s answer
If you are asking about re-sale, then having a bedroom is a better value. But if you already have 4 or more bedrooms then having a sun room would be what next buyer would want.
I am happy to talk to you about this, just need to know a little mre details and features of you home.
Call me: 919-868-1040
Irina
"It depends".. such a typical answer, yet true.

An additional bedroom means more living area. A sunroom is more of a luxury feature and not for everyone. An extra bedroom might attract more crowd then a sunroom. But a matured neighborhood might attract more with a sunroom. Also an extra bedroom would fetch more money in some areas then other. Look for average price/sf and will give you a better idea. That will help you figure out cost vs benefit.

Hard to tell you as we do NOT know from your description how many bedrooms you have at this time?
a large sun room on the ground level may be a nice addition to a home with children, but since we do not
know your market area, i.e. what do the homes look like around you, it is hard to tell....

Good Luck to you

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago, North Shore & Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and
Investors alike....And always with a SMILE :)

Covering for @Properties Chicago & suburbs, and with her trusted Partner
Agents US & world wide properties. French, German, some Spanish &more EdithSellsHomes@atproperties.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at http://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
Get to know me! Learn about my experience, expertise, services! Read letters
of recommendation! Sign up to search for properties in my expanded service area.
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
Runnergirl,

Depends on what you're trying to accomplish, how many/location of current bedrooms, among other factors. I'd be glad to do a complimentary consultation and possibly involve my home stager for her opinion. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Karen Johnson, GRI, CRS, SRES, CDPE, SFR
I would need more information before offering an answer. #1) How many bedrooms do you have now? #2) What is your motivation for asking this question? #3) Are you on city sewer or a septic system which would require you checking your current septic permit to how many bedrooms your home is rated for?

I would be more than happy to assist you with your questions once I understood the reasoning for the question. Please feel free to conatct me either via e-mail...erniebehrle@gmail.com or my cell 919-795-5447

Ernie
I would say that is completely depending on what are your motives for wanting to convert it. Are you planning to stay in your home and you need a bedroom vs a sunroom? Are you planning to sell and wondering if it would add value to your home to have a bedroom vs a sunroom? Call us here at the Jim Allen Group and we can help you. 919-845-9909
~melonie ladd, agent
My off the cuff assessment is that you should not convert it. Let the new buyers figure out what they need because they may prefer a sun room or use it another way and not as a bedroom. However, they could change it to a bedroom if needed. What if they need handicapped accessible and you've done it as a regular bathroom? Who knows, the key is that your house has a lot of potential that needs to be pointed out to potential buyers.

Happy selling.
Web Reference: http://crazyvivhomes.com
It depends on a lot of things. From a practical point of view, how would the floor plan be impacted? Is there already a full bath on the ground level or would you have to also add that? Is there adequate family living area? Then you should look at the cost of the addition compared to your return on the investment and affect on resale value? Good luck with your decision!