Home Selling in Dallas>Question Details

Kay, Home Seller in Dallas, TX

We are underwater on two rental houses in the Dallas area. How do we get out from under? We are able to make the payments, just want out.

Asked by Kay, Dallas, TX Fri Feb 3, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


I had mentioned to you in June if you are underwater and want out, a short sale may be the answer. Have you been able to resolve your issue to date?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 28, 2012
HARP 2.0 allows you to refinance investment property to lower your payment but there are stipulations as follows:

The mortgage must be owned or guaranteed by Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae.
The mortgage must have been sold to Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac on or before May 31, 2009.
The mortgage cannot have been refinanced under HARP previously unless it is a Fannie Mae loan that was refinanced under HARP from March-May, 2009.
The current loan-to-value (LTV) ratio must be greater than 80%.
The borrower must be current on the mortgage at the time of the refinance, with a good payment history in the past 12 months

I wish you the best with this.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 27, 2012
Have you considered a short sale, banks will short investment properties also
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 18, 2012
I just came across your message today and I hope you had resolved your issue with your two rental properties. I am curious about the loan amount for each property and the current value of the rentals.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 26, 2012
Being underwater should not mean anything to you on a rental property. As long as they have positive cash flow, then you should be able to afford to ride out the current market and wait for it to improve. If your properties are not cash flowing, then that is a different animal all together.

As rental properties, your bank is probably not going to let you conduct a short sale, and even if they did there are big tax penalties for it since it is not your primary home.

Patrick is correct. It may be necessary to sell the properties at a loss. This would mean that at the close of the sale, you would have to bring a check for the difference to the closing table to pay off the bank. Your only other alternative (which is NOT a good one) is to let them be foreclosed on. Again, this is NOT a good alternative.

I work with investors regularly. Depending on the quality, location, and value of your properties, there may be an interest in them. Please give me a call or email me with some details on your properties. I will try my best to help you out.

Brian Rayl
Keller Williams Elite
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 5, 2012
You should talk to a good real estate attorney and also an accountant.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 4, 2012

If the investment properties are not worth as much as you may owe on the properties, one unfortunate, but obvious answer is to sell them at a loss. The advanatage is that the loss may afford you tax benefits in the form of a write off (capital loss.) Consult with your CPA about the possible tax beneits of the capital loss.

If you are having trouble maintaining tenacy, then it may be time to reinvest in improvements so that you can demand a hirer rate of rent to cover the mortgage payments. In this scenario, you could wait out the market and in time, hopefully the property value may increase.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 4, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer